Saturday, February 10, 2024

Project Quilting 15.3 - Citrus Banner

My entry for Project Quilting's 15.3 challenge - Inside Out is a wall hanging /door banner featuring the insides of a lemon, orange, grapefruit and lime.  It ended up being a five hour marathon on Saturday to complete.  Not how I like to work.  

I landed on the citrus slices idea while admiring the mini lemons produced by my mother's lemon tree.  Ooh - and maybe use my Dresden plate ruler?  I wanted to do something pieced, and my idea required something bigger than a post card. 

I spent a chunk of time cutting and assembling pieces before I realized I had measured something wrong.  The pieces were too narrow and weren't coming full circle.  (I now have a ton of little pieces that are begging for another project.)  My second attempt was more successful (but if you look closely at the lemon, I had to jam in one of the little pieces to get it a full circle).  So I lost what little time I had to work on this on Friday experimenting.

The whole design and assembly was on-the-fly with some vague ideas of what should work, and then doing and redoing things as I went along.  Not conducive for a deadline (I had to be done by 5pm on Saturday because of other commitments).  The quilt ended up with minimum quilting, a machine sewn binding and a few more mistakes than usual.

Oh.  And a disaster of a sewing room and ironing board.  There's fabric and freezer paper scraps all over the living room.

Given the little time to consider the background and binding colors I'm rather pleased with the result.  I will likely make some repairs in the near future, because the sloppy work will eventually peeve me.  When I have time.

For now, it's a finish.  And done on time!  I really like the colors and the overall design.  It was fun to dig through my stash for the scrappy colors and play with making the pattern. 

Sharing with:
Persimon Dreams - Project Quilting 15.3
My Quilt Infatuation - Needle & Thread Thursday




8 comments :

  1. That is a lot of fun, Sally! I like how you used whole circles, halves, and quarters. Fun colors, too. I enjoyed following along with your process - sounds like you can take a deep breath now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how fun your Inside Out pretty is. Such a clever design for the brief given. Love those colours....very citrusy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right...what a neat design and I love the colour combinations. Very clever but then exactly what I've come to expect from you when you get creative in the sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea for the challenge! So smart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it lot! Very refreshing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sally - I like it a lot, and maybe because it is not as "precise" as many quilts I see on the web. I think the subject - the fruit - calls for it to have some less than perfect lines! And I agree with other comments that it looks refreshing! Thanks for your recent visit to my blog and your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The jammed in wedge adds authenticity to the citrus theme of your quilt, Sally. Not all of the fruit wedges are exactly the same size. Congrats on a juicy challenge entry!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************