Thursday, October 24, 2024

I Like Thursday: Pigs, Poets, Pumpkins, Prancing and Paddling

Whew!  Lots going on in the last two weeks!  So many great things to make me happy.  Let's see - the Powerpuff Girls are settling in.  There's been much loafing when they're not fiercely demanding treats.

There really is a guinea pig in that photo... the first week Bubbles tried to hide under everything. 

They're learning to beg properly and they're enjoying the three level cage - everyone has favorite spots.  And they were pretty excited to check out the cleaned cage.

I've lived out here for five years and finally got around to visiting Poet's Seat Tower.  It was a terrific view from up there.  Such a nice day (although very windy). 

Curious about the name, I looked it up on wikipedia which mentions a poet named Tuckerman.  I know of Tuckerman's ravine on Mt Washington... it couldn't be the same Tuckerman.  It's not - but it turns out Tuckerman the poet had a biologist brother whom the ravine was named after.  

Last Wednesday we returned to Naumkeag for the Pumpkin Show and brought along my mom and sister.  Chilly evening, but the wind dropped by the time we arrived.  Most of the pumpkins are fake - but the sheer amount of hand-carving was impressive.  I got a kick out of the pumpkin Audrey II in the greenhouse.

We all enjoyed the pumpkin fairy houses.  The remnants of the sunset tried to steal the show.  I was so disappointed we couldn't find the comet that night - we were facing the right direction and everything!  I wish we waited another few minutes in front of the mansion to look.  (Although Rob and I managed to spot it at home the next evening.)

Saturday was the Fall Ball!  Four great bands and callers for twelve hours of dancing.  I wore some of the red flowers I made for my hair.  


Yeah, I didn't make it that long.  Warm sunny day, so it was hot dancing and the weather enticed me out.  Still, I got to hang out with friends and see lots of familiar faces. 


The whole weekend was beautiful, so I got a chance to go kayaking again.  I tried out another new-to-me pond.  This toppled tree caught my attention.  I loved how the bleached branches stuck out at odd angles and was reflected in the water.  Made me think of whale bones.  (A very strange fresh-water whale.)



Ooh - let's squeeze a couple more P's into this post that aren't in the title.  One of the dancers at the Fall Ball brought paw-paws.  Mine ripened by Tuesday.  Such an odd fruit, but it was delicious.   I wonder if I can get the seeds to sprout?

 


How about P for pretty colors.  Plenty of that around here.  This was taken from the top of my street when I went for a walk.



Since it's October - I can't resist a creepy crawly.   I was moving boards next to the garage when I spied this guy.  I showed off the photo at Game Day and was told this is a wolf spider.  He was impressive.  Glad he was outside and not in the house!

Linking up with I Like Thursday.

4 comments :

  1. oooo the dance looks fun. Lots of people and I had to look twice in case that was Glen Echo, Wolf spider looks like it could eat a wolf. I so enjoyed the girls running around a quilter's GP house
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those piggy girls are very entertaining! Looks like you have been keeping very busy and having a lot of fun, too. Love the view from the poet's tower, and all those dancers! I've heard of paw-paws, but have never seen one in real life. They look very interesting! But a big no to that spider!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful pictures! I love seeing the girls all together! It looks like they're having a fun time. The dancing looks crowded. I'm sure you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************