Saturday, April 23, 2011

Saturday Sweets

Rolling orange butter creams (lime green and purple!)

Holy Saturday.  For the last decade or two, that means inviting friends and family over to my place for a day of candy making.

The tradition began long before that, when Mom told my sister and me we'd help out the Easter Bunny and make some of our own candy for Easter.  That was way better than the previous tradition, which usually consisted of spring cleaning my bedroom and other parts of the house....



The spread



Making candy for Easter has changed a bit since its humble beginnings (and peanut brittle that glued your teeth together for 30 minutes).  For the last several years I have had five or six cooks converge in my kitchen and spend the day blending, shaping and dipping sweets.  This year's items were toffee, ginger nut clusters, mint Oreo truffles, paves, peanut butter eggs, orange buttercreams and butterscotch nests.  Delicious!

As you can see, a big focus is chocolate.  The butterscotch nests are the only non-chocolate item in the bunch.  We spend the morning making the centers that will be dipped and the afternoon is mostly concentrated on dipping, decorative work and making nests.



Get a load of decorations!  Usually we just put a squiggle or some dots on the buttercreams or truffles - something either to identify the contents or to make them a little festive. But every one of the buttercreams and truffles had something different.  Smiley faces!  Star-bursts and zig-zags.  Is that a kitty-cat face?  And that last truffle says yum

What a shame we'll have to eat all of these one-of-a-kind works of art.  Not.  I'm pretty sure the Yum truffle is truth in advertising.  I'll need to make sure the insides are as amazing as the outside.








I can't believe how quickly the day flew by.  Three cheers for the cooks!  You gals made it such a successful and enjoyable day.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************