Saturday, December 31, 2016

A Year's Worth of Sewing

This didn't feel like a productive year.  I slogged through parts of the spring and summer for a variety of reasons.  But as I went through my photos - wow!  I did more than I thought. 

Clockwise from upper left:  Stained Kites, sewing machine case, Lighthearted Love, Mom's pillow,
mini hearts, Key West Memories, Parrot Plumes

I tried a lot of new patterns and techniques.  Some projects were to use fabric on hand, others were to try new patterns.  The Singer 99 case cover came about because I couldn't bear keeping such a cute machine in such an ugly beat-up case.  The pillow and the feathers were paper piecing patterns I found - I was excited to have an opportunity to make them.  I was inspired to make the table cloth and heart quilts from fabric (or thread) I was given.  I swear my best ideas come from stuff handed over to me rather than the fabric I buy.

Stained Kites was the only planned-on-purpose quilt.  I imagined and designed it for nearly a year - purchasing fabric, cutting out kites and bookmarking freemotion quilting designs that looked interesting.

Clockwise from upper left:  clothesline bowl, oven mitt, knitting bag,
fabric baskets, NYB mug rugs, quilting practice pouch, selvedges mug rug
In addition to my "big" quilts, I had several little projects.  Most of these were an effort to clear out old fabric I had collected over the years.  It was fun creating a bunch of clothesline bowls that burned through a heap of rayon, cotton and polyester scraps.  Yards of leftover home decor fabric went into a handful of baskets, a mug rug and a much needed oven mitt (the much-loved old one was so ratty!).

The last little items were were trial runs.  Practice quilting for the feather quilt ended up as a zippered pouch.  My first attempts at New York Beauties ended up as a pair of mug rugs.

In the end, I averaged at least one project a month.  My backlog for 2017 is already piling up!  I have gifts to make, a pile of string triangles nearly ready to go and at least two I-need-to-try-this patterns simmering in the back of my head.  I need to get sewing!


5 comments :

  1. What a nice collection of creations!
    I find one of the best surprises about blogging is when I occasionally look back at old posts for some reason and see that, yes, in fact I *have* done a few things ;)
    Happy New Year to you and yours, Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I don't think I could have done all that in a year but I have a habit of placing things on the back burner! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this, my first visit here to your blog. Love the guinea pigs and their antics! This year I want to find out more about paper piecing and it looks like this will be a spot to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have a very productive and creative year!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************