Sunday, July 15, 2018

An Unfortunate Twist

Wedgwood's weight has been low for a while with no apparent reason.  It had coincided with losing Boadicea and adopting Mabel, which I figured were both stressful events.  But it hasn't bounced back like I expected once Mabel settled in.  I dragged my feet in calling the vet - until Wedg blew up like a balloon on the 4th of July.  This had to be bloat.

The word "bloat" can strike terror into any guinea pig owner.  It's painful and can be fatal - no one ever wants to deal with it.  The weird thing was that Wedgwood moved around like nothing was wrong, eating and drinking.  Even when I picked her up, she protested in being manhandled, not wheeking or grunting in pain.  She didn't act sick.

However, when we saw the vet, she used an even scarier word that bloat:  torsion.  Wedgwood has partial stomach torsion.  The vet did xrays and then an ultrasound hoping, hoping to find ovarian cysts.  Maybe a lump.  Any other cause for all that gas rather than a twist in her stomach.  This torsion is causing food not to move correctly, which in turn causes the gas.  If it gets worse, it could cut the flow of food completely.

It's a shocking diagnosis.  It took me nearly a day to just absorb it.  To top it off, the next day Wedgwood bloated again, and this time it was painful.  She was one very unhappy rodent.  I was wrung out by Monday afternoon, when she started to recover.  She is back to her normal self as I write this, but it's a crap shoot what any day will be like.

Wedgie is on simethicone and probiotics to help maintain the gas.  She's also on a diet of solely hay, pellets and water, which is terribly confusing.  She keeps begging for treats when I'm in the kitchen and doesn't understand why the usual veggies are not forthcoming. 

She came home from the vet sporting a shaved belly from the ultrasound.  Her belly button is sticking out!  At least it's summer bikini weather.  It's interesting that her skin is grey even though her belly fur is white.  It should turn white again as the fur grows back.

I'm awaiting feedback from the vet.  She was going to research what we will do next.  Option on the table is surgery to untwist Wedgwood's stomach.  She'd be a good candidate for surgery, since she's not in distress at the moment.  In the meantime, Wedgie is comfortable and acting as she has for months.  I'm crossing my fingers that we can keep the bloat at bay.  As long as the food keeps going in and the poo comes out, we're doing well.


7 comments :

  1. Awwww, poor piggie! Hang in there, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you remember me from the pignics-- Sidera with her boar Spike. (giant orange ball of sass)-- but Spike had very bad bloat on and off during his senior years. When we found out he had torsion, it was an emergency and it was too late. But the vet we spoke with said that there is surgery that can be done, especially if the piggy is younger and healthier. I don't know what aftercare would be like after such a procedure, but if it had to be done, I think it would be best to do it before an emergency. The emergency part can come on quickly (like, in hours). I wish I had known. There are not many cavy-savvy vets that know how to do this operation. (I think the level of anesthesia required is where the danger is).

    I'm sorry-- I don't mean to write to scare you, I just wanted to write in as someone who actually had experience w a pig with torsion. I hope the Wedgelet feels better and stays in good health!! Sending her healing vibes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do recall you and Spike! What you described is what the vet has experienced with others. I am hoping we can address it before it gets to that point!

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear this about Wedgwood. Piggies are so sweet and knowing they are going through something like that is just the worst for us humans to bear. I sure hope everything works out for the best for her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear. Bloat and gastric torsion was one of the most worrisome issues back when I had Irish Wolfhounds, but that was many years ago and I don't know if it has changed. Back then, every sort of theory about diet was being experimented with.
    I remember that a surgical correction was beginning to include adding a slight abrasion which would (hopefully) make a future "twist" impossible.
    I hope you aren't faced with another emergency situation - gosh, don't they keep us on our toes, these animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't clear about the abrasion - sorry. It meant that the stomach and intestine (I believe) would be sort of stuck together as the abrasion healed, thus the stomach would be held in place. I think this same sort of thing happens with abdominal surgeries, though not on purpose.

      Delete
  5. Oh how distressing for you. Here's hoping that Wedgwood torsion is sorted soon and that she is okay.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************