Sunday, July 29, 2018

Sneaking Snacks on the Side

Wedgwood continues on a hay/pellet/water only diet.  I think I hate it worse than she does.  Wedgwood knows the routine and still whines for treats at all the usual times.  It's difficult to ignore.  But she eventually gets bored and moves on.  Mabel has been lucky enough to get goodies on the side.

So far Mabel doesn't beg, doesn't come to the second level for pepper, but she's not stupid.  After a few times of being placed on the kitchen floor with a piece of lettuce, she figured out that's the place to be.  I was puzzled when she chewed the gate several mornings in a row.  She'd been taste-testing several things she shouldn't lately.  But this appeared to be on purpose and always soon after I medicated Wedgwood.  I'd open gate and she'd be on the floor soon after, nose poking about.  Aha!  She's looking for a handout.
 


Yesterday morning when she came down, she nearly followed me to the fridge.  A few weeks ago I predicted Mabel would be a wheeker.  I was so wrong.  She simply and quietly makes herself known then expects to be fed like royalty.  At this point, I'm guessing she may be the type of pig to stand at attention under the fridge.  What do you think?

Speaking about making oneself known - I've found sticky notes on the floor again.  <sigh>



Meanwhile, thankfully, Wedgwood is oblivious to what Mabel has been getting up to.  I refresh the hay racks first thing in the morning, so Wedg usually has her face buried in hay when Mabel slinks off.  Look at that wide-open gate!  And yet Wedg has no curiosity of where Mabel has gone off to.

Wedgie sometimes hears Mabel chewing loudly from the floor and wants something of her own.  A mouthful or two of corn husk will satisfy her and she'll return to the hay.  So far Mabel is getting away with her sneaky ways - we'll see how long that lasts.

2 comments :

  1. I'm surprised she doesn't smell the lettuce on Mabel's breath!
    Glad Wedgwood is doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad Wedgewood is doing okay on her restricted diet, but I understand what you mean about it being harder on you! They are such wonderful little characters.

    Had to laugh at the sticky note.

    Sounds like Mabel is settling in very well.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************