Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Strung Out

I started these string triangles over three years ago.  Each time I finished a project that left more than a handful or two of strings and selvedges, I'd make a few more.  Some of my early pieces have no selvedges, until I hit upon the thought this would be a great way to use them.  I have enough triangles now for a large throw quilt, or possibly a twin if I augment it a bit.  I had to laugh - I went from not having enough pieces to suddenly the possibility of having too many.

I planned to do the braided look after seeing this quilt on Kit & Cat Quilts.  Close up it seems to messy and I wasn't sure I liked it.  So I tried something different for the last column:  string diamonds (which will need some kind of sash).  I love how the camera gives a different perspective.  Now that I look at the photo, the braids aren't looking quite so overwhelming.  Maybe put them all together?  Maybe add the strips like in that Kit & Cat quilt?

With all these triangles ready to go, I thought all I needed to do was assemble the mess.  But I suspect I may need to leave this on the floor for a while while I ponder possibilities (queue the complains of needing to walk ALL the way around it).  Sorry.  Maybe.

Which layout do you like?  

Linking with Freemotion by the River's Linky Tuesday.


2 comments :

  1. well, since you asked!
    these are wonderful on camera, so relax and sew them together. I love the one on the left, I believe you call it braid. Love it enough to want to make one!

    The one on the right in photo is interesting but needs some color change, or contrast to make it glow. If you like the analogus colors, then a value change, some triangles with really dark strips, maybe grouped to allow the eye to follow the line. Alternatively I see the one set on the right as a long skinny quilt for a wall or table, as is. You could add some very simple applique even, a tiny hexie flower, or a few stems. Or couch on some thick yarn to give it a focus.

    I love the idea a lot, and think you're really on to something. This could be a series for me, trying different colors, different settings. I've done a lot of stripped blocks and loved them all. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the blocks Sally and how neat that you have kept working on it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************