Sunday, August 12, 2018

Wedgwood Roller Coaster

Well, heck.

Wedgwood has been doing okay since her trip to the vet last month.  No veggies has been harder on me than on her.  We've had two short episodes of bloat, but otherwise have been doing well.  Mabel has been winning us over with her sly demands of lettuce on the side.

We returned to the vet for a recheck last week.  It was a disappointing trip.  I had been hoping we could surgically correct her stomach torsion.  However, the vet said she unwilling to do so:  research showed the odds were not great for recovery.  Wedgwood had x-rays taken, and to add insult to injury, had some scabs on her nose scraped off.  Not a fun time, but she was a very good pig.

The x-rays revealed that the daily simethicone, probiotic and no veggies had eliminated a lot of the gas in Wedgie's system.  So I have at least improved her immediate situation.  The scraping showed she'd somehow picked up ringworm.  Really?  So now I'm treating that, too. 

Then the vet called back a few days later.  Surgery is back on the table - more research gave a better prognosis.  Talk about whiplash.  I'm excited for the possibility of fixing this.  I'm scared to go through surgery.  I'm trying not to get my hopes up to much because touching a guinea pig's stomach is always a little iffy.  And yet, this looks like my best bet to let Wedgwood get back to normal.

In the meantime, Wedg is doing well - she may looked peeved in the photo, but she was seriously chilling.  Even on just hay and water, she's been a mostly happy little pig.


5 comments :

  1. Poor Wedg...a good little pig doesn't need that drama. On the other hand, think how much more interesting her tell-all book will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very troubling time for you. I hope Wedgwood's health problems are sorted out very soon. She does look rather sweet in the photo. She looks as if she doesn't have a care in the world.♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. After over forty years (yikes!) of owning guinea pigs and my experience with surgery, I would be very reluctant to enter such a thing with a piggy now unless I had absolute confidence in the vet and the guinea pigs ability to recover. I hope Wedgwood can continue to get on okay without it if at all possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How worrying for you but best not to op. unless really necessary.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************