Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Baby Homebase and Backing Progress



I sewed all weekend.  Every time I took a break to do something else, I'd find myself tinkering with a quilt within an hour or two.  How nice to have the time to work on them.

I love the baby Homebase quilt.  I'm already dreaming of ways to quilt it.  Binding fabric is cut and ready.  I'm currently designing a scrappy backing.  The plan had been to use the brights that I previously cut, but there wasn't enough variety.  I ended up using only about a third of those triangles, then dug through my stash for other fabrics to go with them.  

Then there's the backing for the zig-zag quilt.  I finished piecing that together Sunday morning and it's sandwiched ready for quilting.  I thought I had more of the melon green and the fat quarters weren't quite wide enough to make up the difference, so I had to keep adding.  As if the quilt doesn't already have a ton of seams!  I kept adding more.  I will have to watch when I quilt it that I don't skip stitches because of the thickness.


I've had this vintage blue and green fabric with little hearts and birds on it for a while.  The print was wonderfully straight along the edge, but when I went to cut it, it turned out to be quite cockeyed.  The fabric is folded square, but you can see by the ruler it dips quite a bit from left to right (although it was straight on the side folded underneath).  So I have two straight pieces, two slightly askew piece and the long side piece looks good.  How odd that it twisted like that.

I'm waffling between an all-over quilting pattern or do something specific to the diamonds.  I'm leaning towards filling in the diamonds.  It's going to be a lot of stitching (like this quilt isn't heavy enough already), but I'm thinking of all the freemotion practice that will be.  Whee!  As soon as I finish piecing the Homebase back and the binding, I can focus on quilting.  I can't wait.

Sharing with Freemotion by the River's Linky Tuesday.


2 comments :

  1. Nice use of neutrals among the brights! Piecing backs sometimes takes as long as the tops themselves! But it does add interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Homebase quilt top is a triumph. I can't wait to see what quilting design you decide upon. The backing for zig zag quilt is fabulous This quilt will look great both sides.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************