Thursday, August 30, 2018

I Like Thursday: No Snow Ball and Fungi

Kicked off this weekend with No Snow Ball benefit dance on Friday.  Unlike normal contra dances, there was no band (more money for the benefit, since there's no band to pay).  Instead, music is supplied by the caller's iPod, carefully paired to specific dances.  It's amazing what you can contra dance to:  lots of greats from the '60s  and '80s, recent songs I don't recognize, and some truly ridiculous stuff).  It works.  And you laugh.  Like dancing wasn't fun enough by itself.



I like the cooler weather and walking.  Of course it warmed right up again.  But I did get a little hike on on Sunday and found these fungi.  The first had an iridescent quality - it looked like a miniature polished wood stump.  It was rather striking in person.




My friend (who was kind enough to take these photos) pointed out one that looked like an owl's face.  I can see that, can you?  And the third looked like mini tumble weeds, or glasswort or maybe coral.  I pushed one with my foot and discovered it was well rooted - it was not going to tumble anywhere. 

I like Berger cookies.  These have always been a Christmas time treat, but now that I have the recipe, I don't have to wait until December to enjoy.  I made up a batch on Saturday (complete with the full batch of icing).  Some were to share, we horded the rest.  They're almost gone!



I like my chilling pigs.  This was the quiet before the storm.  The last two days have been rough (story on Saturday).  But we seem to be good today.  I'm so grateful.

There's more to like at Not Afraid of Color's I Like Thursday.  Check it out!


8 comments :

  1. Your fungi are fascinating! And yes, the first one looked like a section of tree trunk all polished up. I had to go check out the Berger cookies post - I remember those - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fungi are amazing. I especially like the tumbleweed-coral one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those pigs better be okay!!! Feed them a berger cookie. I met those cookies while living in Baltimore and yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like fungi too, and am fascinated by some of the huge ones that grow on the sides of trees around here. Yes! on the owl. And oh dear I hope the piggies are okay. So adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sally! There's that cute little foot, peeking out!! I'm glad you had fun dancing, and that song I'm Too Sexy - wow that was popular. Thanks for sharing that - it is playing in the background in my head as I type. HAHA! That one fungi does look exactly like a tree stump! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. You reminded me to get photos of unusual fungi that have popped here.
    I followed the links all the way to King Arthur to look at that cookie recipe. I've noted it because it looks fabulous and with chocolate something Tony would love. Thanks.
    Aw, that little foot!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I wish we had enough precip to actually have some fungi … so I will have to enjoy yours. Love the cavie feet sticking out of the sleeping bag - reminds me of a certain husband ...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************