Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Change of Plans

I was all set to practice lots of free motion quilting on the zig-zag quilt.  I had picked a bunch of fun designs.  But when I tried quilting the first diamond, I struggled to move the quilt.  The area was too large for the pattern I chose and the presser foot caught on the bulky sandwich.  Looking over my drawing I could see I was going to run into the same problem with most of these designs.

Well, that was unexpected.

My last quilt I did a lot of planning for straight line quilting until I switched to free motion.  This quilt is going to be the opposite.  Back to the drawing board, quite literally. 

Straight line may be better in the long run:  the quilt is already so busy, most of these free motion designs would only be visible on the back.








I've been playing around with it - I'm thinking of sewing the yellow lines, then echoing inside of that.  It could work.

Sharing with Freemotion by the River's Linky Tuesday.

2 comments :

  1. Your free motion plan looked lovely, but I think for that quilt straight lines might be better... either way, it is already looking great, so it's going to look even better once quilted! I think echoing is a good idea! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, think straight line quilting might be the way to go with this fabulous quilt! I can't wait to see what you decide upon.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************