Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Backing Zig-Zag

The front is assembled!  It's turned out a bit skinnier and taller than I thought:  it's 46" wide, and 72" tall.  But I'm not sure how to make it wider without making it taller.  Another whole strip would make it wider than I want (plus I'd have to make more triangles).  I was thinking of making some kind of border.  Would it look funny on just two sides?  I guess I could pull some off the top and bottom if I wanted to add it all the way around.  Bah.  But I love how it looks.  So maybe someone would be happy with a skinny, tall quilt?


Pressing open all those seams may  have been the right thing to do, but it was a painful process.  I'm pleased with the results:  my points are fairly flat and pointer than I had hoped!  I guess it was worth the occasional steamed fingers.



My stash is comprised of mostly half-yard (or smaller) chunks of fabric.  The few larger pieces I had would not go with this quilt.  So I grabbed a handful or two I thought would go together.  It's a scrappy front, why not a scrappy back?  Now to sew something together without too many seams, please.

In between working on this, I just finished cutting fabric for the last of my Homebase blocks.  I liked the brights with this pattern - it just didn't work for Stepping Stones.  Now I'll get to see how they work on a baby quilt. 

Sharing with Freemotion by the River's Linky Tuesday.


4 comments :

  1. It looks great with that layout! Adding narrow top and bottom borders and wide side borders might work. I wouldn't worry about the size too much. It's a lovely quilt as is.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, I love this layout. It has so much movement.
    It looks like you can also piece a single column - two triangles wide and it should make it wider. You can make non-stripy triangles in coordinating fabric and add to either side if you don't want to make more stripes. I do like what Soma says - that'll be the quickest.
    Vasudha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me thinks your skinnier and taller quilt top is lovely. Who says that quilts have to be a certain size anyway. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes when I'm having trouble getting to sleep I'll do a couple of online jigsaw puzzles. Lately, I've been choosing quilts - they make dandy jigsaws!
    Does this make me a quilter-once-removed? ;)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************