Thursday, July 26, 2018

I Like Thursday: Leftovers

I had more likes last week than I had time to write about.  This week, I've got leftovers.

Microwaved peaches



I like peaches - so I love this time of year.  But not much sadder than cutting into a wonderful looking peach to discover it's all woody.  Terribly disappointing.  In the past, I'd just throw them out.  Last week, though, I had sliced it into a bowl and thought:  what if I microwaved it for a minute?  I like cooked peaches, too.  Would that get rid of the woodiness?  Why yes, yes it does.  Even better with a scoop of ice cream or yogurt (and a few chocolate chips if I'm feeling particularly indulgent).  Yum!  I've tried this on a handful of woody peaches and they've all been quite nice.  Yay!




I like my new mala beads.  I finished stringing them last week.  I had been unhappy with a set I bought earlier this year (on the left).  I decided to buy the individual howlite beads and make my own.  I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.  They don't feel plastic, have a nice weight and are a lot brighter.



I like the silly sign. We got down to the Cape cottage to discover there was no tea kettle.  Instead, there were the words "Kettle died." on the fridge.  My nephew decided it was too plain and added the graphic of the kettle giving up the ghost.  Excellent!





Mabel got extra attention while we were at the Cape.  Wedgwood's current diet prohibits fruits or veggies, so Mabel was given treats while being held.  She was very good.  Love and affection is more acceptable when it comes with corn husk, strawberry tops, lettuce and cucumber ends.


Tried a new recipe for Game Day (as well as a favorite in a different pan).  The new recipe is for Chocolate Mint Cookies.  The Andes mints are nice, but the package was too small.  I ran out of mints, so I improvised with some raspberry and apricot jam.  I may try Hershey mint kisses if I make these again.

I've made the Cheesecake Stuffed Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie a few times, but this was the first time I put it in an 8" square pan.  It yielded a bunch of little bite-sized squares, which was perfect for sharing (I still like the standard or mini pie-sized if I'm going to be greedy keep it for myself).

I used Linkwithin on my blog but it stopped working sometime back (and I only recently noticed).  I like that I found a new solution.  Took some research and I'm still trying to get it to be a bit more random how it picks things, but it shows up - so I'm happy with that.

That's it for my likes of the week.  But wait!  There's more!  Be sure to check out Not Afraid of Color's I Like Thursday.

7 comments :

  1. Hi Sally,
    Aww, little Mabel looks so sweet enjoying her treats! As usual, your baking really tempts me. I have been holding off baking anything because Sue has a blood test tomorrow. Once that is over I am making the brownie/chocolate chip cookie recipe in the iron frying pan. I have been lusting over that recipe for almost two months! I had to giggle at the cute picture that the kettle died. Happy Thursday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh I love the photos of their little faces. Love mint in all its' forms but realized it's got to be good mint in chocolate form. Andes pass the test! One of my other blogging friends posted a recipe using spiced peaches (with cinnamon) and jello that I plan to give a go. Should be able to get good peaches this time of year. And your beaded necklace is wonderful....great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh peaches - yummy! Colorado peaches are now here and I'm enjoying them! Glad you found a solution for a woody peach, too. That picture of Mabel and her treats is just priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for the peaches! I just loved this post and especially the kettle cartoon, what a hoot :D Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I miss my guinea pig - so cuddly and adorable. Thanks for sharing Mabel with all of us. And now I must complain (LOL) about all the foodstuffs in this post … you've made my mouth water and I shall have to go to the kitchen and see what I can scrounge up that might even compare to your goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. just how long did you cook the peaches? All this time I threw them out!! Mabel is just so adorbs eating at the grown up table. I like all your likes including the silent death notice, poor kettle, RIP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those microwave peaches sound yummy. How clever of you to think of this idea. Tell me what did you do to retrieve the Linked Within gadget. I too noticed mine had disappeared. How sweet Mabel looks peeking from out of the wrap.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************