Tuesday, February 26, 2019

I Went to Buy Just One Thing

Ryco had a sale for wide backing, so I went to buy one for my sister's quilt (the golden brown block at the top of the photo).  Ryco has a great selection of fat quarters, so I browsed through them for more backgrounds for the NYB blocks.  Of course I didn't stop there.  One always has to make a trip through the Bargain Hunter's Cove... and of course some of that fabric came with me.

I found seven fat quarters that looked like good possibilities for my sister's quilt (and if they don't, I like them anyway).  All of them are batiks, although that hadn't been my intent.  I was drawn to the pebbly grey fabric and a black flowery print - I seem to be on a black-and-white kick lately.  Then behold!  blue fabric with unicorns, maidens and castles.  It was in the fat quarter bargain bin - I had to come home with that!  Have no idea what I'll do with it, but it amuses me.

There was one last bargain fat quarter I liked.  But I came home to learn you always trust what you see.  Rolled up, it had an interesting pattern brown pattern, (another possibility for the NYB quilt).  But when I unrolled it, I discovered it has stripes.  Well, that was unexpected.  Never trust a rolled fat quarter?  It will get used for something, but not as I had intended.

Not much to show for the NYB quilt; ideas are forming and I'm starting to feel the overall design.  Work continues to encroach on my play time which is slowing down the whole process.  So I'm happy with the bits of progress here and there.


4 comments :

  1. Hahaha! Just one thing :) But every one thing you got will be very useful! So a good shopping trip really! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the botanical fabric you chose for your sister's quilt backing - and that looks like a wonderful shop! I visited the website, and if they did online sales I would surely be ordering fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the pattern and all my fabric and a few blocks done for my NYB that I started about 10 years ago! Egad... I"m loving the fabrics you've got, especially the unicorns on the batik!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fat quarter with the stripes would be interesting to cut the strips off of, remembering to leave a quarter inch edge to the strip so that it could be sewn in somewhere else. I've done that a lot with unfortunate (prior to me) cutting of fat quarters. I once put together an entire charity lap quilt out of strips from unfortunate cutting of a fat quarter. None of my stripes appeared to go together, but they were wonderfully startling as the background fabric for some applique. I had seen someone else do it on one of the shows that were on HGTV, back when the Knitty Gritty was still playing on TV and just after Alex Anderson's original show stopped making more episodes. It was a show that was based on putting odd fabric like things together. Even saw how to make a scarf out of long pieces of left over yarn sewn together under dissovable fusing. Essentially lay fusing down in the shape of a scarf, place the yarn pieces randomly along it, crossing the yarn here and there, place another piece of the fusible over it, pin together, sew together with free-motion quilting, and soak the piece until the fusible is gone. Viola a very interesting scarf. Still can't remember the name of the show though, sorry. It's probably somewhere on utube.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************