Saturday, June 22, 2019

Rough Patch

Mabel has had a couple of rough weeks.  She went to the vet because she was losing weight and had developed a wheeze.  She came back with a slew of antibiotics which quickly knocked out the breathing issues and the weeping eye.  However, in the ensuing week-and-a-half, she developed stomach issues and was showing signs of pain (she started destroying whatever cozy she could sink her teeth into and was chewing stuff on the floor).

We headed back to the vet on Wednesday.  More x-rays and a shaved belly for an ultrasound.  Poor Mabel.  X-rays seemed to indicate a possible blockage between the small and large intestines.  She was still pooping (which she demonstrated to the vet), so we were sent home with fluids (everybody's favorites... not), an analgesic and told to keep up with probiotics and gas drops.

Mabel did very well with all of it, including sporting a bare belly in time for the summer.  She was exhausted when she got home, but one is never too tired for lettuce.  She laid down several times while eating that leaf, but didn't stop chewing (even in that first photo).  When the lettuce was gone and mooching failed to make more food appear, Mabel headed back to the cage and sacked out.  What a day.

8 comments :

  1. Please tell Mabel I also am often so tired that I eat while laying down. I like to think of it as Classical Eating. Like the Romans.
    I do hope Mabel is soon back to her usual wheeky self!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get well soon Mabel! We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. poor Mabel, hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww xx. I sure hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Mabel, what a time she has had of it. Hope she is completely better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that little Mabel girl. I really hope she is feeling well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sad for Mabel, but your post made me laugh out loud, which brought my husband over to read the post and the first comment. We had a right good giggle. The next time I am sick, I am going to tell my husband that I am "doing a Mabel", and that he should bring me food while I am lying down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness, poor Mabel, hope this is just a hiccup and she will be much better soon.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************