Thursday, December 12, 2019

I Like Thursday: December Days

It's December.  I take Mondays off for the month to catch up on whatever.  It's really useful!  I'm hoping next Monday I can get started on Christmas stuff (I'm a bit behind).

And why am I so behind?  My sister's quilt, of course.  I worked on the background and finished the borders.  Which means, excitingly, that it is quilted.  All of it.  How's that for a like?!?

My Christmas cactus is nearly in full bloom.  It hasn't had this many flowers in years.  Hard to get a good picture of it - I may try again on a sunnier day.  So many pink blossoms.




I like this elastic clip.  I bought it years ago to cinch up the back of a dancing dress, then never used it.  But I'm glad I kept it - it's perfect for a favorite pair of pajama bottoms that are a little too loose.  Now they stay put.

I like the sparkly snow we had earlier this week.

Then on Tuesday we had heavy fog that drifted all day.


Both were very pretty in their own way.  With the rain and the warm temperatures we have a lot less snow (although wait a few days, we'll get more).

My biggest dislike is followed rapidly by two likes.  I hate joining the two ends of a length of binding:  it's too tight, too loose, too small of a space to easily work with.  Something.  But I love cutting off the edges of a quilt so I can start stitching on the other side of the binding.  Oh, a clean edge.  Then I love binding a quilt.  Mmmm...

Guess what I'm doing for the next few evenings? 

Check out I Like Thursday over at Not Afraid of Color for more good things happening here and there.


10 comments :

  1. Hi Sally! I'm with you on getting the exact length of the binding correct, but also just adore sewing it down. The whole calming project along with a last quiet time to enjoy all of the quilt's glory is my favorite thing to do. That PJ cincher looks like it would be uncomfortable with the metal clips. Your cactus is gorgeous! Mine is so much smaller than that. I wonder if it needs to be repotted into a bigger pot so that it will spread out? I don't know that much about cactus plants. I water it once a week and give it some cactus food now and then. I'm going to read about your sister's quilt. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, I taught a binding class, edge treatments 14 ways. The easiest and surest way to join two ends is to overlap by the same width of the binding (usually about 2 1/2 " for double fold) Then place at right angles, sew and it's perfect. I might have a link in my tutorials page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LeeAnna's method for finishing off the binding the way I do it. It works great! But meanwhile, hooray for finishing your sister's quilt!!! Your outdoor view keeps changing, but it's still just beautiful. And your Christmas cactus looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on getting your quilting finished! I cannot wait to see it in all it's glory. Your wintry landscape looks so pretty both the snowy one and the one shrouded in fog. It must be lovely to look out the window to those pretty scenes each day. Good luck with all your Christmas preparations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful Christmas cactus to enjoy. And pink too my favourite. Yes, our weather has been swinging around as well, rain and then cold but the snow is staying away. Enjoy this time with the getting ready bits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have actually been having good luck getting my binding right. I know I just jinxed myself and the next time will be horrendous. Your Christmas Cactus is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could use a few of those elastic clips. Since I retired, I lost about 10 pounds, and everything is too loose. A nice problem to have. Lovely Christmas cactus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cactus, looks like a waterfall! So excited your quilt is on the last stage, can't wait to see it! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Christmas Cactus. So pretty! That picture makes the snow look so nice! I like binding only because it means I'm just about done! I have a way to join the ends that works for me but it took many attempts before I figured it out! You will too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with your comment about how fast 2019 moved along. I can't believe it's nearly at its end either. Glad you're onto your last section of sewing the binding on the quilt. i also use LA Paylor's way of creating binding. Works every time. I even have a method for turning right angle corners, so that the point ends up exactly where it's supposed to be. Something about a fold over a fold, crease the folds, draw an erasable line to stop stitching at, then lift the foot, turn the quilt and continue, makes the back of the binding so easy.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************