Thursday, October 27, 2022

I Like Thursday: I Got Goodies

It's Thursday!  Time to join up with LeeAnna's crew to share the good things going on in our lives at I Like Thursday.  I've been all over the place this week. 

I am totally chuffed to be published in a medical journal.  Never in a million years did I envision that: High rates of oral anticoagulation in atrial fibrillation patients observed in a large multi‑specialty health system in the Northeast.  How nice to be included for digging through databases to gather and present information.

Another trip to Mom's house.  I picked up all sorts of prizes:  a gift basket I won from the Chocolate Tour raffle earlier in the month as well my quilts with their two Topsfield ribbons.  Mom also sent me home with a bag of Lindt dark chocolate truffles.  Yum!

The trip also netted me with another round of Freecycle stuff (I'm not sure who's more excited - my mom for getting the stuff out of the house, or my neighbors for the odd assortment of electronics they've recently picked up).  Regardless, makes me happy to see them happy.  

Before I left I snagged a pegboard, which I plan to install in my sewing room closet.  Maybe I'll gain some control over my rulers and thread?  Unfortunately, in pulling things out of my closet I tipped over a lamp that had a CFL bulb... and it spectacularly smashed.  It was the only CFL in the house.  Oh, I was so upset and angry at myself; I spent an afternoon cleaning up and calling for information on what to do with any fabric that got hit with the bulb shards.  I talked to a couple wonderful people at poison control and the Bureau of Environmental Health, who thanked me for doing the right thing and gave me ideas how to deal with the fabric.  But sheesh - what a stressful way to spend the afternoon.

On the other hand, my sewing room floor is now SPOTLESS.

<sigh>

The weather dried out enough to resurrect my Graduate sewing machine.  That meant I was able to zig-zag together some batting (and therefore sandwiched my baby quilt) as well as stitch together a new dancing dress.  My August OMG is finally complete.  LOL.  I've picked quilting thread, so I'm hoping to finish the baby quilt for November's goal.

Mark has been hilarious.  Every morning he gets so excited about cage cleaning.  I wish I could get a good video of him.  The dude does serious happy dancing.  I swear gets more excited each day.

 
 

I got another nice day for a quick kayak.  I was intrigued by my wake and drops falling from the paddle.

 

I haven't seen the last episode yet, but I understand the new Doctor Who is an old Doctor who?!?  I may actually be interested in watching the show again!

Just finished reading The Goblin Emperor.  I had it marked as recommended, although I don't know where from.  After reading the first few pages, I was wondering why I picked it up.  Soon after that, though, I found it hard to put down.  It turned out to be a sweet story of the power of kindness.  

This week's prompt -  favorite Halloween costumes.  As a kid, I loved dressing up as Charlie Chaplain (especially since I got to wear my great-uncle's bowler hat).  Ooh - then there was the year I was big enough to fit into my Dad's Navy flight suit.  It had pockets everywhere, so I stuffed my candy there instead of bringing a Trick-or-Treat bag.  He had a cool helmet, too.  Hmmm... wonder where that all got to?  I now have a great wench outfit and one I put together for belly dancing.  Whee!  I'll need to pull one together for Monday (if not for Saturday's dance).

Happy Halloween!



6 comments :

  1. Congratulations on being published! And winning ribbons for your quilts, too. You're a woman of many talents! Sounds like fun to visit your mom, and bring cool things home. Glad little Mark is blooming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A huge congrats on getting published! That's a great feeling isn't it. And you never know what it might lead to. Also great to have your dancing dress finished. I smiled all the way through Mark's video...he is so cute. And how beautiful the water is. I'm glad you got the light bulb thing all sorted safely. I never knew they are dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!
    Mark is hilarious! He looks like he wants to play at one point.
    Your kayak video is hypnotizing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on getting published! It's so exciting that you got your ribbons too. You've had a great week! What a mess with that light bulb. So glad to hear Mark is so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on adding to your ribbon collection, Sally - and on the publication! Impressive! And I know what you mean about the light bulb and your floor. My kitchen floor is never cleaner than after I break something with tiny shards that could hurt the cats. The final step after sweeping and mopping is to get on the floor with a damp paper towel and shine a flashlight laterally to look for tiny gleams of light. And there is always ONE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so much good news! A win, a publication, a successful cleaning of a pig bed, successful cleaning of toxic glass, loved seeing Mark. Also very calming and mesmerizing video of droplets. I looked at it like a painter, where to put shadow, highlights...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************