Saturday, July 13, 2024

Feather Flimsies

In less than a week I have two complete sides of a quilt!

I shuffled around a few feathers but mostly kept with my original layout.  Nearly all the feathers were cut from strip blocks, which resulted in six feather pieces that had the same color layout:  three from top-to-bottom and three bottom-to-top.  When I pieced left and right together, I got a set of unique feathers.  I was amused, though, that after I stitched them all together, I can see two sets of rights and two sets of left next to each other.  I guess that means this is truly random. 


Unlike so many project, this one didn't leave a bunch of orphaned blocks.  I had only a single feather left over.  There wasn't quite enough of the silver green for both binding and backing.  Besides - that would have been a bland back.  So I pieced together the last bits of feather fabric to make up the shortage.  This will be a nice compliment to the front.  

I sandwiched and basted it last night.  Now I have just short of two weeks to get this quilted, bound and labeled.  I know how I want to quilt the feathers, but am still debating about the background.  Fingers crossed that the sewing machine and thread all behave.  It would be nice if that went as smoothly as the rest of the project has. 

Sharing with:
A Quiltery - Put Your Foot Down Thursday
Alycia Quilts - Finished or Not Friday
Nina-Marie - Off the Wall Friday



5 comments :

  1. I love this color combination and the unique feather blocks! I had thought these were paper-pieced, but no? You must cut the strip pieces at a certain angle. I'm always trying to figure how blocks are constructed. Cheering you on for a finish with time to spare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting the top and backing complete. I love the pieced back and that you included a feather. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love how it all came together!! And the feathers - truly random - just like in nature - LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this one, Sally :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE how it came together. Very unique, nice color combo and very creative on your part.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************