Tuesday, March 14, 2017
A Season of Change
OMG, I think I need to repeat that: the tree quilt is finished. And the wind died down yesterday long enough to photograph it.
This project lasted so much longer than I anticipated. Quilting was difficult. The trapunto was a neat idea, I really like how the leaves look. However, I'm not sure if it was worth it. The tree trunk came out a little lumpy (which is okay - what bark isn't a little lumpy?). I considered quilting in some wood grain to tack it down, and decided that would only draw more attention.
Working around the extra batting certainly complicated things. I really need a walking foot for my new machine. I'm sure it would have prevented several of the puckers I had to rip out and restitch.
I was worried the binding would look too stripy, but I'm happy how it turned out. Adds a bit of interest to the edge without taking over.
The one loose leaf was inspired. I tacked it on after the quilting was complete and it is somewhat posable. Amazingly, the dang quilt actually hangs nearly flat! I didn't have to square it much after I finished the quilting. I even remembered to add the pockets in the back for the dowel before sewing on the binding. I think that's a first. The things I did right, I totally nailed.
It's pretty good work and it's all mine. Most importantly, it's done. Huzzah! I've moved onto my next sewing project (which has already presented me with a pitfall or two).
Sharing with Freemotion by the River's Linky Tuesday.