Thursday, December 13, 2018

I Like Thursday: Lots of Work

You know the Harry Potter flying keys that I admired at the library?  The librarians hated to take them down, so they hung them as ornaments on the library's Christmas tree.  I commented  how much I loved them and asked if I could have a key when they took down the tree.  Sure!  In fact, grab one now so we don't forget.  So now I have my very own golden flying key.  Love it!  It currently hangs on my advent wreath.

Okay, so here's a weird like - I've been enjoying car shopping with Rob.  Car shopping itself - not so great.  We rode in a few gawd-awful cars and laughed the entire test drive.  I loved the make of one of the cars, it was fun to drive, but the car itself was worn around the edges, had rips in the upholstery, smelled of cigarettes and I had to guess how to put it in reverse, since the stick was missing its diagram.  Ha!  But tooling around, commenting on what we liked and didn't like about each car was fun.

Still no car, but I have a better idea of what I want to get.  Now if I could just find it at a reasonable price....


I'm about halfway through quilting the strip twist quilt.  I decided to try graffiti quilting.  I did a bunch of doodling, which is now hanging in front of my sewing machine to help me think of what to do next when I'm stuck.

I really like what I have so far.  It's been fun, although slow going.  I was cruising along for about an hour, then spent an hour changing needles, pulling out and burying threads because I kept skipping stitches.  It was driving me nuts!  Suddenly everything started to work again and I got another hour of quilting done before my shoulders told me to stop (it's hard work moving that quilt!).

My three days off whizzed by (mostly with the car shopping).  But I like that I got to spend most of an afternoon quilting and writing up Christmas cards (only a few more to go).


I like that a quilt top that I donated last year has been completed and sent to California for one of the fire victims.  I hope it gives them a little comfort.

I'm one of several blogs with things to like.  You can find the collection of them over at Not Afraid of Color's I Like Thursday


10 comments :

  1. You are being really good natured about car shopping! The golden key is perfect for the holiday and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your quilting! So glad the fire victims could use that beautiful quilt. I know someone is going to cherish it. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally! What a fabulous idea about your quilting graffiti! And to hang it up near you is a super idea - when you get stuck on what to do, just study your drawing for a bit. It sure looks nice on the quilt itself. I wonder if your pressor foot was too far away from the fabric? That's what my problem was when I kept breaking the thread all the time. I'm so glad the library let you take a flying key! It would be a shame to waste them when there is someone who would enjoy it. I am 100% sure someone will just love the quilt you donated. Just think of the warmth and comfort it is giving someone right now. Happy Happy day to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. wowie! what a great list! Being with the husband, priceless. I LOVE your doodles... that would make a terrific quilt of applique. I want a golden key... where did they get them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like those flying keys, too - perfect for a library Christmas tree! One at our library is decorated in bookmarks! Your quilting looks wonderful, and good luck with the car. Way to have a positive attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to get a flying key! And what a good idea to use them as Christmas decorations. Glad you are finding some fun in car shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love car shopping and especially the test drives. It's such a fun thing to do together.
    YOu are doing great with that quilting. They all say it takes practice with the FMQ to get good at it. REally don't know about me.
    I'm sure your donated quilt is being very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got a gold key. Hopefully you find the perfect car for you. Great quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire your attitude about car shopping! It took me about 2 years to replace the Little Green Sportswagon, and that was after lots of looking. I shudder just thinking about it. The hard part was finding a dealer I felt comfortable with, and even then I visited several times and test-drove a few different vehicles before buying. Maybe doing it as a couple makes it more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sally - I know some people who like to test drive cars even when they are not in the market for a car - they tell me it's a delight to drive a vehicle with that new car aroma, and to see the features that are coming out … I've never done it, but it does sound like fun! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The doodling quilting looks fabulous. I hope you decide upon a car soon AND that one jumps out at you at the right place.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************