Thursday, December 20, 2018

I Like Thursday: Cards, Cookies and Cheer



I like that I'm just about done with all my Christmas prep.  As long as work doesn't get any more insane, I should be able to coast to the new year (and by saying that, I've probably sealed my doom).

I like receiving holiday cards.  My sister's card is so wonderfully simple.  It's a print of her own watercolor.  Pretty, isn't it?

I also received a pair of guinea pig cards:  loafy pigs around a snowman and a two Christmas elves (complete with pointed little ears!).





Our family cookie-swap party was a ton of fun, as usual.  I have a wonderful selection of cookies stashed away now (so we don't eat them all at once).  I had to snap a photo of my gingerbread house, quick, before I eat trim away more of the landscaping.  Alas, the house may be facing some natural disaster soon....



Did you see?  I finished the strip twist quilt and named it Joyful.  I brought it to the library to get a few artsy shots.  When I told the librarian it was a wedding gift, she mentioned that she's been married for 20 years... in case I felt the urge to make another.



I like that my mushroom starter arrived!  I helped back this interesting kickstarter to create a mobile mushroom bus.  In return I was sent this oyster mushroom starter kit.  Mushrooms on my counter top?  We'll see how it works.  Rob's suspicious and says we need to feed them to Mabel first to see if they're safe to eat...



The Drapes of Doom - should these really be on my I Like post?  I like that I received the pile of drapes delivered direct to my living room (well, maybe indirectly - they made a lot of stops before arriving here).  I'm to reinforce corners and patch anything that needs fixing.  It's a good thing that Joyful just left.  Eighteen drapes may keep my busy for a while.

I like that I printed out a pile of New York Beauty patterns.  I need to figure out how to enlarge them onto freezer paper.  That will be my next big quilting project.  I need to work on some small projects soon - my selvedge bag is overflowing.  And those two sweatshirts need some appliqué.  Oh, I should have fun over Christmas.

My Christmas cheer may not be overt, but it's there.  I'm sure there's more over at Not Afraid of Color's I Like Thursday.  I hope you are enjoying your holiday season.


8 comments :

  1. Hi Sally! How are the guinea pigs doing? I hope they are happy and healthy! Joyful is so pretty and will be so well received. What a wonderful wedding gift. Going to the library is a fabulous idea, and what beautiful woodwork they have to make Joyful really shine. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas! Happy Thursday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. feed them to Mabel....bwaahahahaha, er, maybe that's a good idea.
    the quilt looks wonderful and finished! Tell me why you print patterns onto freezer paper... I just sew and tear off the regular paper. Happy week my good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like getting holiday cards, too - your sister's is beautiful! She must be as creative as you are, Sally! A family cookie swap sounds like lots of fun, and yummy as well. Fun that you made a gingerbread house, too! Sounds like you have lots to keep busy with over the next few weeks. Have a wonderful Christmas, Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sister does create beautiful artwork, doesn't she. Such a fabulous to turn her art into cards. How fun for your family to swap cookies. More curtains to mend!! I do like the sense of humour of your librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love mushrooms but a little leery like Rob. Hope you show how you print patterns onto freezer paper...I always trace them. Yes, it seems you have lots of sewing lined up. All good. Yummiest looking gingerbread house I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Strip Twist quilt came out beautifully...wonderful gift of love to the newlyweds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've grown mushrooms from kits. Only one would I say was 100% successful and that's because I paid attention to the instructions. lol I don't recall the taste being spectacular like I thought growing one's own would. You Joy quilt speaks joy, joy, joy to me. Merry Christmas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your strip quilt! Great colors!!! I know they will appreciate it! You have quite a lot of sewing to tackle but I love projects (especially in the winter). Have a safe and happy holiday! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************