Monday, August 5, 2019

Noodle Bake

Noodle bake.  I bet this was one of the first dinners I learned how to make when I was a kid.  This is one of those recipes that has endless variations.  It's also one of those classic family recipes that has a method of less than 25 words.

The recipe I have below is the original (with a few more words), but is not necessarily what I make.  Rob pointed out I could no longer call it Sour Cream Noodle Bake since I never use sour cream.  So now I call it simply Noodle Bake.  Let's see - I've replaced the sour cream with plain yogurt, the hamburger with ground pork or turkey, and add whatever spice I have on hand, like Worcestershire sauce or blackening spices.  Can't hurt to swap in chopped onion or some peas.  One time we added in so much hot sauce or cayenne that it was almost too hot to eat. 

It's great comfort food.  Make it as bland or as spicy as you'd like!

Sour Cream Noodle Bake
1 8oz package egg noodles
1 lb hamburger
1 8oz can tomato sauce
¼ tsp garlic powder
⅛ tsp pepper
1 cup cottage cheese (mushed)
1 cup sour cream
½ cup green onion

Cook the egg noodles according to package instructions.  In a medium skillet, brown meat, then add tomato sauce, garlic powder, pepper, simmer.  Once the egg noodles are done and drained, fold together noodles, cottage cheese, sour cream and green onions.  (I usually do this in the pan the noodles were cooked in.)  Pour meat mixture into a casserole dish, then layer noodle mixture on top.  Microwave on high for 5 minutes until hot.  (I bet it would be good baked, too.)

2 comments :

  1. That sounds yummy - like an easy lasagna! I have substituted plain yogurt for sour cream for a long time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum, I'll have some please. I like the idea of yogurt... I even use it on baked potatoes now, with some chives mixed in. And it dips. A few probiotics are always welcomed.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************