Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Ramp Revision

When we moved, I couldn't run the guinea pig ramp the same way I had in Rehoboth.  It would have terminated in the corner under the cage.  I did a quick fix to have it start at the same point in the cage, but the ramp stuck straight out into the living room.  I kept tripping over the end of the ramp and Mabel didn't like it (too exposed and too wobbly).


Second floor gate
As I was debating how to wrap it around the cage, Rob pointed out the second level is the same height as the current landing.  I pulled apart the coroplast wall, removed the grid, then refashioned the ramp landing to fit against the second level. The new ramp ends on the floor, just behind the wood table.  Perfect!

A little more work and I replaced the old gate area with a permanent grid.  The new gate required plexiglas at the bottom since Mabel started chewing the bars all the time.  I guess they were too tempting to resist.



Mabel is now using the ramp regularly.  So obviously she approves.  I added some fleece to the floor, which she also likes.  I'm happy to have her come down for breakfast again (she hadn't done that since we moved).  Mabel is even heading over to the kitchen to mooch during the day.  She's even taken to waving her nose around the corner of the grids from the second level.

A mooching pig is a happy pig.  That makes me happy as well.


Mabel's weight is still a little low, but the foot continues to look good.  She's walking on it regularly.  Between the ramp and begging from the second level, she's moving around a lot.  Eat more and beg less!  I'll feel better once she gets a little more meat on those bones.

3 comments :

  1. I'm so glad Mabel is doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear she is improving. Great fix with the ramp. Love how she can have a good wander around as she likes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a good fix! out of sight to you and acceptable to the little moocher. She'll gain the weight back now that she's active. Unlike me, critters seem to know if they are less active they should eat less... oy vey!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************