Thursday, May 28, 2020

I Like Thursday: Outdoors, Leftovers, Flowers

Lots of nice weather in this week's post (I guess my first like - it's been nice getting out!).

Rob and I went for a drive, for a change of pace and to get his car out of the garage (it had been sitting there for maybe two weeks).  We passed by this farm - the view was fantastic (and way better in person).

Later in the week, driving down to my sister's place, I enjoyed all the freshly turned fields.  All that dark dirt (and in some fields, new sprouts).  It's good to see things growing.



My sister and I had another beautiful evening of kayaking.  The pond was so still - like glass.  It was amazing.

And the reflections.  Very cool.  I loved the red and green on the trees that had fallen into the pond.






I made the spinach pie that Michele from 3P & N wrote about last month.  It was easy to make and delicious.  I generally have most of the ingredients on hand - I'll just need to buy cottage cheese more often for when I make this again.  Yum!



We got new glass containers for leftovers.  I really like the ones with the snap lids like these.  They stay in place, so I don't have to worry about the lids popping off in the freezer.  I generally like using plastic containers (they're lighter), but the glass ones are versatile.  I can pop the container right into the microwave or the oven.





Speaking of leftovers - I finished making crumb hexies.  Now I have to put them all together (see what it will look like here).


Our irises are blooming.  They are magnificent - purple that is almost black.  There's more blooming soon.  Wonderful!

This weekend I kept reminiscing about reaching to hold a dance-partner's hand.  God, how I miss just that, let alone the dancing itself.  Then Monday's Girl Genius captured that magic.  That.  (Well - maybe tone down the outlandish clothing.)  Right there.  That's what I miss.

Some day.  Some day we'll get that magic back.

In the meantime, I try to focus on the little good things happening now.  And sharing those little things with Not Afraid of Color's I Like Thursday.


14 comments :

  1. Your drive did reveal glorious vignettes, didn't it. That farm is a beauty. Reflections in mirror-like water are a look always magical. How fun for you and your sister to enjoy kayaking together. Love your purple irises and hexies are always a beautiful sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty views at your place! I like to see things growing, too! Your spinach pie looks yummy! I had her send me the recipe, too - still need to try it. I have some of those containers like yours and really like them! Your iris are beautiful, too! We're enjoying seeing the ones in our neighborhood on our daily walks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sally! Oh, that shimmering reflection of the reds and greens from the trees on the water is just gorgeous. I can see a quilt inspired by that photo. Your irises are lovely. It seems like mine are not blooming this year. In fact, they didn't even come up. How odd. Take care! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty irises! They're a fav in our family. Thanks for sharing all your likes. The world seems a bit bigger and friendly when I read these I Like Thursday posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh shoot! I forgot a like this week... we did a zoom contra dance! Good to see our contra friends from DC again, even across the miles, and to hear the music, see people moving, do a hay...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The farms are all preparing around here too and your view is very similar to ours when we drive a little outside town. And you know it too now that the farm equipment is back rolling on the roads.
    I'm gradually switching back to glass in the kitchen. It just seems like the right choice nowadays.
    So glad you got to kayak again. What a wonderful past time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely drive. Gorgeous iris. Everyone is cooking. I like that pyrex is making small glass containers with plastic snap on lids. They are also making small single service baking dishes. Great likes this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty drive and lake. I’ve been thinking of getting some glass covered dishes too! Those irises are stunning. What a fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great likes and love the photos of the lake! Your irises are gorgeous! Glad your spinach pie turned out well! It's a very versatile recipe. Our next is probably going to have some leftover meat as well as veg in it! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful irises! The kayaking looks like a lot of fun. It's been rainy here all week, but it's supposed to be nice this weekend. Hope you have a nice weekend so you can get in some more outside time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful pictures, thank you for them. To get out with a destination sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That spinach pie made my mouth water! I haven't baked anything in weeks, but now I feel tempted to look for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice blog today. I'm going to try that spinach pie. Oh & did you know about a virtual contra dance that is happening on June 5th? You can find out about it at Mid-Missouri Traditional Dancers Facebook page. I was reading the NEFFA news a couple of weeks ago and saw there last virtual zoom dance. It looked like it was a blast. There are details on the Facebook page about how to get on the email list so you can receive an invitation on zoom to the dance. Enjoy. I'm looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such beautiful pictures! The spinach pie looks so good! The iris is gorgeous. I have a few of those glass containers. I'm always afraid I'm going to break them!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************