Sunday, September 13, 2020

Tick Tock

I was given a wall clock years ago - there were guinea pig drawings at each hour of the day.  It always made me smile.  Rob had pulled it apart a few years ago to replace the clockworks.  So when the paper background started to get moldy, I got it in my head to keep the clock and replace the paper.

I rooted around for pattern for a pieced 12-pointed star.  I found two free patterns and picked this Poinsettia Star.  The pattern is for a 12-inch block, so I shrunk it down to 8 inches.

I wavered between a light background with dark points, or black background with light points.  I thought the black background with black edge may be too dark.  However, I hadn't thought about the fact that the hands were black.  Once I had it assembled, I realized my mistake.  Out came the gold and silver paint to fix the hands - that seemed easier than choosing more colors and starting all over.  

Stitching it together went fairly quickly.  I had modified the pattern (so there's one extra piece in there because I cut it wrong... can you find it?).  Once the square block was complete and ironed, I cut a round piece of freezer paper to the size of the clock face (or just a smidge smaller).  I centered and ironed it on to the back of the block.  Then I folded the raw edges over the edge of the freezer paper, cut off the excess and glued it to the paper.  I also clipped the stitches at the center of the star, pulled back and glued the edges to make an opening for the post for the hands.  

Once I had the whole thing lined up on the clock, I glued the freezer paper in a few spots to the inside back of the clock.  The clear plastic cover presses down on all the edges - I may not have needed to glue it to make sure it stays in place.  I figure it may want to sag over the years.  We'll see what it does.

I like the color.  I like the design.  I think overall it's pretty cool.  Plus it was a fun, quick project.  The seams at the center are a little thick - I fear the hour hand will eventually snag on the fabric.  I also had issues assembling the minute hand (it wiggles a bit).  In other words, this is an experiment.  If I am forced to rework this, I will leave a larger opening at the center.  I may not bother to fold and glue the edges, since the force of the clock cover should hold everything in place.  There should be no reason for it to fray.  I'd also make sure there's better contrast to the inside of the star and the hands of the clock. 

Sharing with:
Confessions of a Fabric Addict - Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?
Love Laugh Quilt - Monday Making


3 comments :

  1. That is a fun and unique way to re-do a clockface! I like your solution to the hands being too dark, too. Looks great, Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! This is fantastic. I doubt I would ever have thought of this - you executed it perfectly. Really unique and so cool.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************