Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Various Progress

I worked on several things this week.  I am officially done with  my flimsy for my September OMG.  Yay!  I decided on doing the gold border.  I photographed it on the slate floor and I really like how that looks.  Makes my decision for a binding easy:  I'll do the pebble rather than the rust.  I have backing ready and can sandwich it as soon as I frankenstein some batting.  I have no idea how I want to quilt it.  

The long wavy borders wanted to crawl something terrible while stitching them.  The little blocks were more forgiving.  I had to use lots of pins for those borders.  I'll have to keep that in mind if I try this again.

I planned to do a wavy binding, too.  Squaring this could be a real pain, so a wavy binding might be more forgiving.  Although, with a border, it might look neat to finish it off square.  We'll see what it looks like after it's quilted.

The hexie quilt, which was supposed to be my on-the-go project, has been plodding along as my stay-at-home project.  Definitely not what I intended when I dreamed up doing this years ago!  I think it's about a quarter to a third done.  It's going to be big!  I'm not sure which will be easier - to keep adding on small chunks at a time, or start on another section and try sewing three big sections together later.  (I think I'm going to stick with my bit-at-a-time approach.)

Ironing boards aren't just for ironing - mine is an occasional cutting table, a catch-all for stuff and a make-shift to-do list (why the heck is that card there?  oh, yeah, I need to mail it).  But that stuff needs to be cleared off (especially the small cutting mat and rulers) when I need to iron.  Time to make another caddy.

This was a real quick slap-together project.  I have a well loved and used table topper with stains down one side.  So I ripped out the side bindings, folded it in half, stitched it together as a pocket, added fabric and grippy shelf liner to the top, rebound the sides and ta-dah!  New caddy.  No stains to be seen.  Wide enough to handle my 12" square ruler and small cutting mat.  As a slap-together salvage project, I'm quite pleased.  It will be mostly hidden by the ironing board, so I wasn't looking to put a lot of artistry in it.  Bonus - the table is now covered with a clean table topper (which will hopefully not be so abused).  

What I really need is a padded sofa table, the height of my ironing board, with cabinet doors and a power strip.  Hmm...  In the meantime, this helps!

Sharing with:
Elm Street Quilts - September OMG Finishes
Love Laugh Quilt - Monday Making


9 comments :

  1. This looks lovely and the gold border perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like you have a series going... do another one, with elements you like in this one and the big one... learning what works and what causes the stretch and how to compensate. I would love to see a third one growing out of the first two... you're on to something good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great projects! Nice OMG finish, and the hexies! I do love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Those are great projects! I really love your idea of a "padded sofa table, the height of my ironing board, with cabinet doors and a power strip" I need one of those too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilt top. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed at your description of the ironing board! It really is useful in so many ways. I was collecting signatures for a Montana ballot initiative, and I used my ironing board to get attention and as the perfect height surface for people to sign! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wavy border enhances the wavy blocks -- though I can understand how the sewing would require lots of pinning. The caddy is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why, the gold border is perfect; it makes everything pop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That border is very nice. Maybe wavy quilting would be a way to consider for it. As far as a padded sofa table, you should call your town hall & see if the town dump has a redo furniture section. My sister used to live in Brookline, NH & they had one. She got all kinds of furniture there to redo for free or a small fee. I can imagine a piano bench with the flip top drawer for patterns or rulers with added shutters for doors. If you want it shorter as a sofa table cut down the legs on the bench & the shutters before you staple on batting & fabric, like you would for a chair with a covered seat. I'd really bet on you coming up with something splendid. Oh & I did see an old piano bench on FB marketplace for a couple of bucks the other day. Probably gone by now, but that's another idea.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************