Friday, September 18, 2020

Switcheroo

I put two brown, white and black piggies into the car, closed the door, then later opened the door and two younger tan-and-white piggies came out.

Presto!

I think Dakin was as surprised as I was that the two boars I brought home on Friday were immediately adopted.  They asked if I'd like two more piggies when I returned Charlie and Wilbur on Tuesday morning.  Since I had set up the cage, bought pellets and greens for a couple of weeks, I figured why not?  Maybe this pair can stay a little longer?

On Monday we agreed I was getting another pair of one-year olds (but I think they were adopted before I arrived).  Instead, I discovered two wee four-month-old boys.  The two of them together literally weigh less than Wilbur did!

They are cute and skittish, with pointy noses and a lot of growing to do.  Say hello to Bernard (with the bigger white blotch and light colored ears) and Charles (with the brown ears).  Funnily enough, Charles is the outgoing one, just like Charlie was.  Bernard is generally terrified - I hope he warms up soon.

They have beautiful soft fur and so much energy.  Evening is their favorite time:  when I cover the cage, they run laps knowing no one can see them.  Bernard and Charles are bottomless pits and actually wheek when I open the hay bin (but don't say a peep for fresh veggies).  My focus this week is to get them to take food from my hand and let me reach in to scritch them. 

I waited a day before putting in the third level of the cage.  I wanted to make sure these piggies weren't the type to take a flying leap off the ramp.  When I assembled the third level, I also added in the hammock.  This was an instant hit, especially with Bernard.  They're small enough to both fit in it at the same time!  In classic guinea pig style, only one pig would control the hammock at a time, and the other has to wait their turn. 

I've set up the tripod and hope to capture some of their enthusiastic goofiness on video.  I hope their visit lasts for more than four days!



2 comments :

  1. me too! Littles! They will learn fast betcha. so cute...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they so cute?! I bet they'll blossom with your attention.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************