Tuesday, March 2, 2021

What to Do Next?

Projects are percolating in my head.  It's causing me to change directions in one quilt, possibly two.

I needed fabric to get the Icy Waters quilt off the ground.  And of course when I go shopping for one type of fabric, I come home with lots more.  

First stop was Swanson's Fabric.  This is wild store - like a fabric thrift shop.  I found a couple of yards of fabric I liked and some spools of thread all for $11.  They have tons of buttons, all sorts of yarn and lots of different kinds of fabric.  I need to think of some project that needs buttons, just to go back.

 

Next up was The Textile Company.  I fell in love with some blues, green, reds and a brown (even though it doesn't look it in the photo).  Right now I'm using the excuse that most will look good in a near-future baby quilt... and I'm sticking with that.

Those kite blocks!  I can't put them down.  I'm thinking of a layout like this for the baby quilt.  I was going to make the baby quilt with the string kites, but they're really busy.   


Solid blocks like this will be cute and cheerful.  The squares are all in the same direction and it makes pinwheels in-between.

 

This layout is the same as the string kites - but looks so different with solid colors.  I'm now considering using the jewel fabrics I got for Icy Waters with this pattern, instead.  We'll see - I'm looking at more fabric this weekend.  Once I get all the fabric I want, I'll decide what pattern I like best.  

Isn't it amazing how moving the same pieces around creates different patterns?  If I coordinated where the points meet, they almost look like butterflies (like the yellow in the upper right).

Sharing with:
Love Laugh Quilt - Monday Making
My Quilt Infatuation - Needle & Thread Thursday
Wendy's Quilts and More - Peacock Party
Confessions of a Fabric Addict - Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?


6 comments :

  1. The kite pattern is fun, cheerful. I see why you like it so much. The words thrift store and fabric store send my brain spinning with joy. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kite blocks look so fun. I think they'll be perfect for a baby quilt. I started a baby quilt for a neighbor but mine is much easier than yours! I can't wait to see what you end up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabric thrift store sounds like a really fun place! Love the fun designs you're trying with your kites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way things "percolate" in your brain, I can't wait to see what you come up with for that butterfly like looking image. Buttons these days are coming into vogue on art quilts & being used as a substitute for paint, when kids are doing art. They are used like you do with fabric only in buttons instead of paint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for giving a link to Swanson's Fabric. What a fun place. Your string kites sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are very pretty kite blocks! I love it when I just can't put down a sewing project!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************