Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Project Quilting 12.5: Crazy Postcard

The latest Project Quilting challenge was crazy quilting. I already have a bunch of crazy quilt oven mitts that I've made over the years.  This time I decided I wanted to add embroidered embellishments and some beads.  Rather than go for a mug rug, I decided to try making a postcard.  


I had some scraps of black velvet which would have been perfect for this.  But as I dug through my stash I vaguely recall ditching it in our last move.  I had to settle for some scraps of flannel and stretch cotton.  I even managed to dig out some heavy interfacing.  Bonus!

The block quickly went together.  Turns out my embroidery skills are really rusty.  I tried several stitches, even breaking out some sparkly thread.  

I bound the edge because I didn't want to break out my other sewing machine to zig-zag stitch the edge.  I found some instructions on binding a postcard edge that I roughly followed.  I stitched a thin strip of fabric onto the front, then wrapped around and glued to the back.  I like the outcome, although it needs some practice and refinement.  

I don't think I'll drop this postcard in the mail since I'm sure the beading would wreck havoc with the mail sorting machines.  But I'll definitely try one of these out again.

Sharing with:
Persimon Dreams - Project Quilting 12.5
My Quilt Infatuation - Needle & Thread Thursday
Wendy's Quilts and More - Peacock Party
Confessions of a Fabric Addict - Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?

7 comments :

  1. Your postcard is lovely. I love that pop of red against the blue floral. I look forward to seeing more embroidery at your place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your color scheme too! And hooray for beads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally - who wouldn't want to get this pretty postcard in the mail!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely postcard. I've made one also, or rather two, but I have to wait until tomorrow's daylight to take some photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the colors as they give a lot of room for designing the postcard art. Very nice work there

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sally, a few years ago another one of my bloggerpals who does a lot of quilted landscapes from photographs of old barns and such (not sure if there's a term for that specific kind of quilting, but I hope you know what I mean) surprised me with a postcard - it's delightful, and one of the very few things I immediately put on the wall to enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Special stitching and sparkly beads, too? Excellent idea for the PQ12.5 challenge promt!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************