Thursday, March 18, 2021

I Like Thursday: Lots of Goodies

I've been doing!  Just not posting.  Some highlights of my week:

I like baking.  Rob wanted to capture an action shot.  Irish soda bread was cooling while chocolate oatmeal bars and cheesecake stuffed cookie were in the oven.  I was mixing together peanut butter sandwich cookies.  This is typical - ingredients and recipes scattered across the countertop.  I never bake just one thing!

I made a half recipe of the stuffed cookie.  I swore I had baked it in a 4" pan the last time, but seeing how this overflowed I must have misremembered.  It looked suspiciously full when I put it in the oven, so I put a larger pan underneath.  Glad I did or the oven would have been a mess!

This little rose-breasted nuthatch started showing up at the feeders a week or two ago.  From this angle he almost looks like a chickadee.  He's so much smaller than the usual nuthatches that come by.  Isn't he cute?


I've gone back and forth on the sunny lanes layout.  I think the prism layout would work great if all the HST were the same color.  But with so much scrappiness, I decided to stick with diamonds.  Now the only debate is to shift it a row and a half up, so there's a diamond in the center.  I can figure that out as I start stitching it together.  I will do that prism layout for a wall hanging in the future.

I got a phone call from an unknown number a few days ago, which I let go to voice mail.  The caller ID looked vaguely familiar, so when they immediately called back, I answered.  The woman asked for my mother by name.  As I was saying no one lives here by that name I put two and two together:  this was my mothers college roommate.  I was baffled how she got my phone number.  Once I confirmed who she was and explained who I was, we spent next few minutes chatting.  I made sure she got the correct phone number for my mother and answered questions about being laid off and hired in the last year.  It was such a silly serendipitous call - the highlight of my day!

That's some of the fun things this week that made me smile.  I hope you enjoyed.  There's more tidbits of interesting stuff with the other I Like Thursday bloggers over at Not Afraid of Color.


14 comments :

  1. I'm sure your mother will love hearing from her roommate! I love your sunny skies quilt! Looks great! Have a safe and happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I would give anything to hear from old college roommates. I so enjoyed those years!
    Meanwhile I love that photo of you busy in the kitchen. I also like to make two things at once cause I always seem to make such a mess. That's a beauty of a quilt you are working on. Stuffed cookies sound awesome to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your baking looks and sounds yummy! I love the Sunny Lanes layout you decided on - that is a great scrappy design. I might need to try that one! We love seeing the nuthatches, too - they are a neat little bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure hope we have cream cheese so I can make that cookie pie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering where you were. Anyway I love the quilt as it is. Without a centered diamond, they all look like they're floating. Yummy looking cookies. You're making me hungry. My sister sent me million dollar cookies & snowballs for my birthday yesterday, even arrived on time. Odd phone calls are the best. I have one elderly neighbor a few streets away that calls me occasionally thinking I'm her daughter. She calls by memory & always gets the last 2 digits wrong, but then we get to catch up. I knew her daughter in junior high & spent many hours in her house learning to bake her families signature cookies. One is a variation on Toll House, only with butterscotch chips, without oatmeal, & a lot of the other ingredients while mostly the same are larger amounts. Taught my husband how to bake in the last few years, now he's better than I am at it. I'm the messy cook, he has to have perfection, all the same size. Mine are often misshapen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sally! I love that action shot of you baking up a storm. So cool - it just makes me smile. Sunny Lanes is gorgeous! So nice and scrappy and just plain pretty. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy baking too, and enjoy eating the resulting baked goods. Your treats sound yummy. On the quilt I am making now, I am debating on options too, and while I enjoy the process, I do have to acknowledge that it is hard to let go of the fact that you have to give up some options when you chose one. Your quilt is lovely, and no matter what you decide it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are certainly baking up a storm. It all looks delicious. The diamond layout for Sunny Lanes is a great choice. Such a fabulous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your baking looks so good! I can almost smell your goodies baking! The quilt layout looks great. I love that scrappy look. How neat to talk your mom's roommate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy post! I always spend way more time sewing than baking. Some days I worry that I will forget how to cook.

    It is pretty lucky you somehow recognized the caller. So many times we disregard those sorts of things because of so much spam.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a delicious baking week! I do the same thing -- when the mood strikes, look out! What a fabulous phone call. I'm sure you brightened your mother's roommate's day as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sally - I am impressed that you can bake more than one thing at a time - I would be messing up ingredients, right, left and center!!! And now I might just have to go to the kitchen for a sweet snack!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your quilt, and your baking looks very good. I like that you could help your mother and her college room mate connect.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************