Friday, May 11, 2012

Spiced Raisin Pearl Couscous and Orzo

On a whim last fall I bought some Israeli pearl couscous.  It looked interesting.  I finally got around to cooking it up last month, and it wasn't quite what we expected.  Pearl couscous had a much different texture than the little couscous I usually use.  It was alright with the meal I had cooked, but we decided it needed a bit of something.  Plain was just too plain.

A week or so later, this recipe for Spiced Raisin Pearl Couscous was posted on Very Culinary.  It caught my attention because it uses pearl couscous.  I got a chance try this recipe last night.  I had no idea how it would come out or how it would go with leftover roast pork.

Well, it was delicious - a little sweet, a little spicy.  We both had seconds.  Then a friend of mine dropped in after dinner, and I gave her a small bowlful to taste-test.  She really liked it, too.  Three thumbs up.

I made half of the original recipe, as well as adjusted slightly for what I had on hand.  But it was a quick, easy recipe.  I'll be adding this to my recipe binder as soon as I get around to printing it out.  I still have a bit more of the pearl couscous.  I know what I'll be making with it! 


Spiced Raisin Pearl Couscous and Orzo
1 teaspoon oil
1/2 large onion, finely diced
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup raisins
4 ounces pearl couscous
4 ounces orzo


Heat the oil in a large skillet with deep sides, or a pot. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, and fry for 5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the garam masala, stir fry for 30 seconds, until fragrant.

Add the chicken broth, butter, and raisins, and bring to a boil. Add the couscous and orzo.

Bring back to a boil, then cover the pan and lower the heat. Simmer for 10 minutes, stir vigorously, then let it sit for an additional 5 minutes, covered.

Taste and add more salt if necessary and serve.

Enjoy!


1 comment :

  1. hhhmmm....if only my husband would try this. Sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************