I left a hamper at the Walpole farmer's market when it opened and picked it up after work. Not as many husks as I had hoped, but much better than my attempt at the CSA the week before. Bringing my own husk container helped out a lot. I plan on returning several more times until they close down in October.
Ideally, I would have processed them as soon as I got home, but I didn't have time until Saturday morning. I set myself up in the back yard with a comfy chair, the pile of husks, a pair of kitchen shears and an old bed sheet. I went through the pile a handful at a time, inspecting and cutting off any bad or questionable pieces. I pulled out any silks I found and set them aside. Then I shredded what I had into 1/4" to 1/2" strips, tossed them onto the sheet, grabbed another handful and continued until the pile was gone.
|I ended up with a clean heap of shredded husks, |
a small pile of silks and a bin of refuse
I wasn't terribly careful with the shredding. If any piece looked too wide, I stripped it in half. I didn't bother pulling apart the layers; I just tore through multiple leaves all at once. I also clipped off the thick ends of husks, because it made them easier to shred.
It took me about an hour to work through the pile which originated from 2 to 3 dozen ears of corn. I discarded more husks than I thought I would. It was easier to throw out the questionable pieces than trying to keep the good parts. I ended up with nearly a quart sized bag of silks that I refrigerated for Bertie and Pinni.
|All spread out, ready for a sunny spot|
I stored the dried husks in a large paper bag. I figure, like Kleenmama's hay, husks should be allowed to continue drying, so I did not want to put them in a sealed plastic container. I've seen notes from others that if they're sure the husks are completely dry, they will store them in Ziploc bags. Husks should be stored in a cool dry place to keep them from molding.