Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Lonely Feeder

I've put up two of our bird feeders almost two weeks ago, and no activity.  It makes me very sad.  I've put some seed on the front and back porch railings, and it all disappeared.  So I know something picked them clean.  I hear tons of birds in the trees and have seen many across the yard, but no one visits.

The other bird feeder finally got some attention yesterday afternoon.  It's just big enough for a blue jay to land on.  I had one opportunistic jay clean most of the seed out.

I hope that the blue jay's interest mean that the other birds will be close behind.  I miss seeing the chickadees, titmice and nuthatches at my window.


2 comments :

  1. From my experience, it can take over a month for birds to find a feeder. It depends on the season and if the majority of the birds have already migrated south for the winter. You should also research the if type of seed that you put out will attract the birds in your area during the winter.
    When I first put up my feeder, I had the wrong feed in it for summer in California (berries and nuts) and had to switch to sunflower seeds to get any birds. The process of switching and attracting birds took 2 months.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's any consolation, you do have a gorgeous view from your window! So peaceful.

    Perhaps opportunistic squirrels were responsible for the disappearing seeds? The ones where I live have been going crazy digging holes in the lawn to stash things away for the winter. The pigs do not approve.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************