Thursday, February 1, 2024

I Like Thursday: Into 2024

I missed writing an I Like Thursday post in January.  Lots to like - just no time to write about it.

We got snow in January - but on New Year's there was not a snowflake to be seen.  I went walking with my mother and we came across this creative wooden snowman.  He was big!  Must have been heavy, too. 

I came across a Scottish word this last week:  hurkle-durkle.  It means to lie in bed, or to lounge after it is time to get up or go to work.  Lots of overcast days this month - I'd much rather snuggle warmly under the covers curled up with a good book than face the day.  So I've been doing a lot of hurkle-durkling. 


The snow has been pretty, but not quite deep enough to ski at the top of our road (and I missed my chance at Cherry Hill).  Then we had lots of rain, so it's all gone.  We got a few more inches which was enough to coat the trees and make everything pretty again.

The best part of January?  The Snow Ball!  It's a 12 hour dance that hasn't happened since 2020.  The dance required masking and it was a joy to see so many people, some I haven't seen since the last Snow Ball.  I had lots of nice dances and lasted until 9pm.  I would have loved to have stayed longer.

The calling and the music were terrific!


Oh, so much fun!

 

I've also done a bunch of sewing.  The first two Project quilting challenges were in January:  Birdhouse and Sky Color.  I made lots of progress with my latest baby quilt as well (even with the detour of soaking the flimsy so it would stop bleeding).

I like that my jury duty was canceled yesterday.  Because of that, I had a chance to catch up with a childhood friend in the afternoon.  A great way to wrap up the month!

That's it.  Linking up the with LeeAnna and friends at I Like Thursday.



6 comments :

  1. So much to like in this post! It's so nice to see the Snow Ball resurrected. It has been a very dark month and I'd rather stay in bed too! Your quilt came out great! I like when jury duty gets cancelled too! Mine is coming up in May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wooden snowman! Also that term hurkle-durkling! I do a lot of that. The dance looks like blast! What I wonder, though, is how does everyone know where to go and how to do everything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the giant wooden snowman! What a sweet baby quilt -- so much movement. The baby is going to love it. My husband has upcoming potential jury duty. Bet he hopes it's cancelled too! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely interesting post! Hurkle-durkle...so that's what that is. Wow, all those dancers..great fun and a work out too. I've noticed how joyful your wavy quilt looks when spying it amongst the linky parties. Our snow is staying just now but more warming up coming which is not good here...will mean freezing rain probably which I hate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Ball where dancing lasts for 12 hours...wow. You would've been in your element, Sally. Your ric rac quilt is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************