Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Scrappy Stuff

I tied up three scrappy projects this weekend (and started the next quilt - yes I have!).

Wrapped up the pillow made from the triangle trimmings.  I ended up fusing some fabric to the quilted batting rather than letting it all hang out.  I made an envelope back for it.  It will fit a 14" form.  Next time, I need to make the opening a bit more off-center.  It's a bit of a struggle stuffing it (not that you'd be doing that all the time).  I like it.



Next up:  the linen table topper.  I agreed with feedback that the plain blue checkered corners looked better than a mix of fabric.  I had just enough blue to make the few extra squares I needed.  I had intended to set the project aside to quilt later.  Who was I fooling?  I spent Sunday quilting this.  I pulled out the walking foot to practice some straight-line quilting.  The back looks cool - the quilting for each quadrant starts at the same point along the edge.  It's amazing how different it looks staying in line to the edges or radiating from the center.  I like the pattern and what I learned, but maybe not with this pieced front.  Plus it was a lot of work - would have been quicker to have free motioned quilted the piece!


When I discarded the few black/teal checkerboard squares from the table topper, I pulled them apart and made a border for the folded star block.  Now it's mug rug size.  I also quilted this with a straight-lined pattern I saw somewhere.  Much happier with this one's results than the table topper.

I went with black border.  The whole piece was getting a bit busy, so I chose a solid black to help calm it down.  I really like the effect.

I was describing mug rugs to my sister the other day, but I bet an example will work better.  I'm sending this one to her.  We'll see how she likes it!
Sharing with:
Freemotion by the River: Linky Tuesday
Sew Fresh Quilts: Let's Bee Social
Confessions of a Fabric Addict: Can I get a Whoop Whoop?

4 comments :

  1. Lovely work Sally on all three designs. I like the quilting on the cushion and the mixture of fabrics on the third example. The edging is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely. I especially like the blue ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your quilting. You know I'm a fan of my walking foot :) I also love how you turn leftovers into pretty projects.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************