Monday, November 19, 2018

Colorful Curves

I'm finishing up this round of curvy string blocks.  I made thirteen of them (last black-and-white one not in photo) before I ran out of strings big enough to do curves on finished 8-inch block.


Every block went together differently.  Some I started with the longest strings and worked to the points.  Others I started with one edge and moved to the other.  I started one crazy block at both corners and met in the middle - that took some work to even out.

Tutorials I read layered both pieces right-side up and cut through both pieces at once.  The pieces always crawled as I cut through them, plus I couldn't see the the edges of the piece underneath.  So I would cut one piece (often the one that was skinnier) with the curve I wanted.  Then I'd place the other piece underneath and cut along the line of the first piece.


I tried a few ways of pinning and sewing.  I started by pinning along the whole length of the edge.  But after a while, I just pinned just the very top of the seam (to make sure I had things lined up properly), then matched edges as I stitched.  It's a lot of stop and starts, or if I sew slowly I can meet up the edges fast enough to keep the needle moving.  But it seemed faster than pinning and unpinning it all.


You can see how ripply the seam is, then it magically all irons flat.  Very nice!  I square off the new edges and add the next piece.  I got to the point I could work on three blocks at once (as long as I was careful to set aside what colors I wanted to use!).

I made all my blocks 9 inches square to begin with, to cut down to 8½ inches.  Some of them needed more steam than others.  They all look pretty good!  I stitched together a bunch of little strings that were too skinny or short to work with this.  Not sure what I'll do with those.  But for now, my string bag is empty.

Sharing with Freemotion by the River's Linky Tuesday.


4 comments :

  1. Wow...I am impressed. Each block looks fabulous. It does sound like a lot of work but the finished blocks look a treat. I always have the issue of the underneath fabric sliding away from the top one. It sounds like a lot of problem solving with this project. An empty string basket, now that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally! These are such fun looking blocks! I have a had time with the whole general idea of 'improv' but am trying to loosen up. This will make such a fabulous quilt!! How is sweet little Wedgwood doing? I wanted to wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen curvy string blocks before and I love them. I have a pile of scraps...someday will have to keep this idea in mind. I love how you spoil your little furry friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your curvy string blocks look wonderful! They make a really neat design! In my limited experience with curves, I have had the same thing happen when trying to free-hand cut a curve with my rotary cutter - it always slips or clumps up. So I tried cutting the curve with my scissors and that worked just fine!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************