Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Squiggly Strings

My string bag was overflowing like my scrap bag.  I decided to try something new, so I'm making curved string blocks.  They'll be 8" finished.  The first one came out better than I hoped, so I kept going.  I'm trying to make each block go dark to light from corner to corner so that they're not entirely random.  I'm not sure if I'll stick with that design, but that's the plan for now.


So far I've done something wrong with every block - from sewing the wrong colors together to ripping out pieces that were too small to fit in correctly.  Regardless, I'm pleased with the results.  I've learned a lot in these six blocks.  Believe it or not, the curved piecing has been easy.  All my problems come from adding the strips on the diagonal (picking pieces that are too short once they get sewn in).

They're time consuming.  I usually get to chain-stitch string blocks.  Not these.  I trust myself to only work one block at a time.  Each string is cut, pinned, stitched and ironed.  Repeat.  Lots of up and down from the sewing machine, to the ironing board to the cutting board (I get my exercise working on these!).

There's a lot of little snips going into my crumbs bag, all perfect for 1½-inch HTS.  I also have many strings that are too short or thin to easily add to these wavy blocks.  Not sure what will become of them.

In the meantime, I have purchased the last of the fabric for my next quilt.  I should start cutting and assembling that next week.  So much to do!

Sharing with:  Freemotion by the River's Linky Tuesday.


2 comments :

  1. They look great - especially like the grey/black and the red blocks. I recently tried improv curve piecing for the first time and it wasn't so bad as long as I stick to gentle curves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has a really neat look to it! I have only a little bit of curved piecing, too, so I was trying to picture how you're getting the curves. Are sewing onto a foundation? Do you cut the curve for each new piece with the piece before it? Hope I worded that so you understand what I mean!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************