Monday, November 26, 2018

The Mooch

Miss Mabel has been with us a good six months.  Some guinea pigs take that long to settle into a new household.  Not Mabel.  She made herself at home from day one.  Boadicea was the only other pig to pull that off.

Mabel is amazingly laid back, has no fear of people (although does not want to be touched and only tolerates being held and snuggled).  She expects all treats to come to her and is confused when I dare suggest she leaves the hammock or cozy for morning pepper.  I joke about the food flying into her mouth.  See?  It appears to be so, even when the lettuce is on the floor!

Mabel is very quiet; I've heard one or two wheeks when she's upset or if she is forced to demand something.  She randomly burbles happily to herself as she trots around the living room.  She spends most of the day sleeping curled up in a cozy, cuddle cup or hammock.

Mabel's favorite pose
She's called The Mooch from her tendency to wander into the kitchen hoping for handouts whenever someone's in there.  She's a bottomless pit, eating anything put in front of her.  We've learned to keep an eye out for her:  the mixture of Mabel's silent approach and lack of concern for people towering over her make her an easy target to be stepped on or tripped over.  She's surprised me at least once when she has materialized near the fridge. 

When Mabel is not being moochy she gets along famously with Wedgwood.  This is stunning since Wedgie is so confrontational.  Mabel just lets Wedgwood do whatever she wants (including beat her up) - she just rolls with it.  Hey, man, as long as there's food and sleeping spots, it's all good.  In turn, Wedgwood is relaxed and happy with Mabel.  Turned out to be a great match.  If I had known Wedgwood's prognosis earlier, I'm not sure if I'd have adopted Mabel.  But for now, I'm happy I did.  Mabel has an entertaining and wuzzable addition to our home.  She's been a good companion and I can see that Wedgwood is happier because of it.

1 comment :

  1. I'm so glad the dynamics have worked so well for everyone - I know how tricky it can be!
    The part about "or if she is forced to demand something" made me laugh. One of my boys, Campion, starts calling me the moment I open the door, asking where I've been, asking when the hay is going to be replenished, asking if there are peanuts in my pocket and if not why not. There often seems to be a tone of "I shouldn't have to ask!"

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************