Monday, November 12, 2018

A Small Step Downhill

Wedgwood had a really, really good October:  eating, comfort, mobility were all great.  She had no problems digesting veggies, there were no painful days or dealing with really weird bloat.  It has been a lovely respite and an unexpected result of August's surgery.

November hasn't started so well.  There's already been a day or two of not feeling well.  She's had worrisome weight gain - Wedgwood's shoulders remain a thin as her backside gets bigger.  That makes me think the tumor is gaining size and weight.  She's often very bulgy on one side.


Wedg abruptly stopped using the upper levels of the cage last week.  The only exception was Tuesday afternoon, when I was clearly ignoring her demands for lunch, and she leapt up to chew the bars knowing that would get my attention.  I literally heard her go "oof" when she made it to the second level.  (Such an effort had to be rewarded, of course!)

As I began writing this, I realized Wedgwood has no problem with the ramps.  So I quickly cobbled together a mini ramp to the second level with some scrap cardboard, fleece (and eventually a brick to weigh it down because Miss Mabel insisted on nosing under it and chewing the cardboard).

It took Wedgwood a minute or two of enticement on the second level to figure out how to use it.  But now she's back to demanding treats (with Mabel in training) and lounging in her favorite spot on the third level.  I don't like how the ramp cuts the floor space on the first floor, but it increases Wedg's overall access to the cage.  It's good to see her up there.

Given the dire diagnosis in August, I am thrilled with the carefree time Wedgwood has enjoyed so far.  I hope she continues to troupe along for some time yet!

5 comments :

  1. It seems Wedgwood is making the most of her time. How sweet she is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet Wedgwood would say "It's all about quality," and you've got that covered :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea with the ramp! You are doing your best to keep her comfortable, well done! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally - every time I come to your blog, I remember how much I adore guinea pigs - but no more pets for us, for the time being. So I will adore your lovelies, and ache and rejoice along with you, as the journey calls for it! Thanks for your recent visit to my blog!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************