Saturday, February 19, 2022

Project Quilting 13.4: Stormy Heart


This week's Project Quilting challenge was Mining for Diamonds.  The first thing that popped into my head was Storm at Sea - lots of diamonds in that!  I was also looking at my design wall that had a patch of pink and red on it, and being February, I thought a heart would be cool.  I've always wanted to do a Storm at Sea heart.

The pattern was more complex than I wanted to tackle this week (it's been a very busy week).  When I looked for simpler diamond patterns, though, I kept thinking: that red is perfect for a heart.  So I caved - better to spend the time on the working on what I wanted to do rather than looking for an easier pattern.

I needed to keep this small, ideally mug rug sized (since I seem to be on a mug rug kick).  That's pretty small for Storm at Sea, so I found a paper pieced pattern which resulted in this 11x9½" finished piece.  I pieced together a bottom row, too, but I liked this better than a square.  This quilt was also calling out for a flange binding, but that would have overlapped the points on the heart.  I added a narrow red border to retain the points which ended up a bit narrower than I intended due to a bad cut on one side.  Oops.

I quilted the background and left the heart alone so it puffs out a bit.  The backing is fun - it's in Morse code (although misspelled in one spot) and says: to the moon and back.  It went with some other fabric that was all love and kisses, so it's perfect for this project.  

Sharing with:
Persimon Dreams - Project Quilting 13.4
Wendy's Quilts and More - Peacock Party


9 comments :

  1. so clever! combining Vday, diamonds and wonderful quilting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is so pretty and so very clever. Some of that piecing looks tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally, that turned out beautifully! When you said you were paper-piecing a Storm at Sea design, I didn't expect it to be a heart. And the hint of a shadow in the neutral area is really neat. Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, nice job!

    :) Linda (lindaschiffer at me dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first met the Storm at Sea block on someone's blog hop this year and loved it for the way it made curvy shapes, but only had straight lines. I love love love what you've done with it!! And being a mug-rug project, IF I do succeed in piecing the thing, it won't become an orphan - everyone needs a mug rug/potholder, and hearts are what we all need every single day. Well done and inspirational, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has turned out lovely, great combination of colours and tricky pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This came out great! Perfect colors! I think you have this pattern mastered!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a little beauty. I would never think that Storm at Sea would go so small. I adore the backing print with that wonderful message. How neat!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************