Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Domino

We're fostering Domino from the Dakin Shelter.  He's a just-barely-adult boar has found himself recently transferred in from another shelter. 

According to his notes, he fought with his roommate and got kicked out because two cages were too many to handle.  Being a one-cage-only type of person, I can understand that.  The sad thing is, the listed cage dimensions were too small for two guinea pigs, and two boars need even more than the minimum to make sure they don't hurt each other.

Domino was very frightened his first day here, but couldn't decide whether to hide or explore.  He is a very curious piggy.  He joyously ran laps the first night when we covered the cage.  

He's been with us barely a week, and has already learned to wheek loudly when he hears kitchen sounds.  Treats!  Feed me!  Domino looks questioningly at me every time I handed him red or green lettuce like he wasn't sure what it was, but ate it happily enough.  Bell pepper and carrots are much more enthusiastically snatched from my hand.  

He's smart - he caught on within days how the morning sweeping routine works, and has learned that if he suffers being patted (oh!  but those chin rubs!) that there will be treats afterwards.  He immediately figured out how to work the egg-cersizer and plays with that every evening.  I hide pieces of cilantro and parsley stems around the cage during the day for him to forage.  I figured it must be kind of boring being all alone.

Domino is not a terribly people-oriented pig, so I hope his record doesn't scare off the potential for a buddy in the future.  In the meantime, I'll shower him with some love and food and tell him he's a good boy.


4 comments :

  1. He's adorable! I hope he learns to enjoy your company as much as we all enjoy reading your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe your explanation to the adoption center will explain his record and negate it... and people/critters can learn and grow and change so someone will give him a chance... they will... I watched a video this week of a GP kissing his man's nose... so gentle and sweet. The man kissed his head, and the GP kissed the man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a good boy - he just has to learn how to play well with others. I had students like that! I'm guessing that the previous owners didn't know about the size of cage these guys need. I love learning that he likes red peppers and carrots - me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, He's a real cutie. I hope he's adopted soon.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************