Thursday, April 21, 2022

I Like Thursday: Critters and Candies

Ooh, some fun uplifting stuff to share with LeeAnna's I Like Thursday this week.  Let's start with the cute piggy that arrived on Tuesday afternoon.  This is Domino, who is torn between being terrified and endlessly curious.  I'll give him a day or three to make up his mind.  Hopefully I can get better photos.  But his first night here he got to thumpa-thumpa-ing all over the cage once we covered it.  


A friend sent me this photo of a baby fox.  This little guy is not a foster from Dakin.  He had fallen into a window well and couldn't get out without some help.  He was reunited with his family that were living under a neighbor's porch.  But isn't he adorable?  Look at that face!  I was told the coyote population is pushing foxes further into the suburbs, so incidents like this may become more commonplace.


Easter!  Which of course means candy.  My sister and mother helped make this year's batch.  I tried making some mocha buttercreams (which are delicious but seriously caffeinated).  I may try some chai-spiced ones next year.  Used the tempering machine that I was given in December, which had a bit of a learning curve.  The process is a little different than tempering it manually, so I've made notes for next year!

I ended up with double the amount of toffee (because the first batch separated) and ginger chews (because I thought my mother and sister would take more of them).  Oh, well. 


It looks like a ton of candy, but when I packed up all I was giving away I was left with a much more reasonably sized pile.  What's left is dwindling quite rapidly.  

I took Monday off from work, so I got to spend a little extra time with my mother before she headed back home.  Which was quite nice.


I spent the afternoon finishing the quilting on Sunrise.  Look, look!  I have trimmed edges on the third quilt!  Quilted and binding attached; I just need to finish the binding and affix the label.  Oh, yeah, and bury a zillion threads. 

The last quilt is off the wall and I'm starting to doodle for quilting ideas.  

Quilt #2 was sent out on Wednesday.  I'll be writing up that blog post soon.  Yay!


Our library has moved from six-word-stories to short poetry.  The sign changes on Monday and Wednesday.  

My last PT session is today.  I continue to do the exercises at home, but at least I don't have to roll out of bed to go there two days a week. 

Ordered new glasses - lighter weight and bifocals (for driving, believe it or not).  Looking forward to getting them.

Lots of good stuff this week!  Hope you had a lovely week, too. 



9 comments :

  1. Oh your candy looks yummy. Domino is a sweetie, that look. LOL Glad PT is coming along, and you are making headway on your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Domino looks like a cutie! I know he'll thrive at your house. Yummy candy - I bet it's as fun to make as it is to eat. Hooray for another quilt finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my heck! Is Domino ever cute! I’m sure he’ll settle in just fine.
    Good that you were able to spend time with your mom. The candy looks good too! :)
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that baby face is so sweet open and vulnerable. God bless those who saved him, and your new room mate is so cute. Yum on all that candy. New glasses are what my husband needs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sally! Domino looks pretty darn sweet. I hope he decides to just be curious and not terrified at all. The little window well critter has the sweetest face! I'm guessing that is a fox? Your candy looks like quite a delicious treat. How nice that the three of you can make it together, and that much of the efforts of your work is given away (or sent home with them)! I would love to try doing that some day. Sunrise looks fabulous!! You are so very close to a finish. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. All your sweets look yummy! So nice to hear you got a new foster! I need new glasses too. I need to make an appointment. Ugh. Gorgeous quilt finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw sweet little Domino; hope he’s made up his mind to be relaxed now. Wonderful candy making! I’ll have to look up that tool. Beth might be interested. Tony with his sweet tooth would love to be at your house! Nice to have an extra day with your Mom. I have a ruler like that…I need to use it the way you’ve placed it for my corners. Lovely quilt too and I’ll look forward to your next project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new little baby is adorable and hopefully has settled down a bit by now. My mother had baby rabbits in her window well one year. Thankfully they hopped out that night. What cute little eyes on that baby fox! My eyes would shine line that too if I was near all that candy! Hahaha! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sally - Domino is adorable, and I am sure his personality will explode once he's more comfy with you. Is the baby animal a fox? Your chocolates have my mouth watering - I think I am going in search of some sweets right after I finish typing this comment! And I giggled over the cow poem!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************