Sunday, January 14, 2024

Around the Bend

I had pulled fabrics for the rick-rack quilt, but I didn't like how it looked on the design wall.  Time to scrap the scrappy look and go for solid strips.  At least I hadn't yet cut the curves, so the squares can merge into my growing bags of square scraps.

However, my stash didn't have enough half-yard chunks of the right colors.  Back to the shop.  I bought a light blue, a dark green, some more yellow and white.  I could finally start cutting again.  Since I had already cut some light green and yellow, I finished up those (and confirmed I do indeed have enough yardage).

Oh, yeah, I'm liking this better.  This will be much brighter and more cheerful than my prior attempt.  

So far I've been cutting squares to get a feel for how it will look - 4¼" for the pie-and-crust pieces and 3½" for rest.  I paused last night to cut some of the curves and discovered I could get away with 4" squares.  I also stitched a few pairs together, just to confirm I know what I'm doing.  My drunkard's path blocks trim down to a perfect 3½" square.

I had questions on my last post of how my blocky wall was going to become rick-racky.  You can see a bit of transformation on the lower left side of the first photo, between the yellow and the blue.  The rest of the wall will head that direction.  It's been slow going as I've gained confidence in my process.  Now I should now be able to streamline cutting and chain-stitching the work.  Whee!

Sharing with:
Confessions of a Fabric Addict - Can I Get a Whoop-Whoop?





8 comments :

  1. Looks you're going with a darker green than you had first thought? This combination will be pretty! And fun to see the rickrack shape start to take shape, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These three colours look fabulous. The ric rac pattern is going to look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These three colours look fabulous. The ric rac pattern is going to look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cheerfulness of the colors is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Light and bright - great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of it so far! Nice colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, Sally, you had to go back to the shop for fabric? OMG! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is coming together nicely, Sally. I love that you are working this out as you go and gaining confidence in the process. I stymy myself with self doubt and am trying to get over it...at my age it is really silly.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************