I searched for a while, and I didn't find anything I liked. Everything seemed either too bulky (enough room for the laptop and every accessory I could think of) or too streamlined (literally just covered the laptop). I wanted just enough space for the laptop and power cable and a bit of padding to absorb any shock and handles to carry it with. Then I was told: You know, you could make one. What a novel idea!
|Fabric, foam padding and heavy interfacing|
Getting the materials was a trip. I hemmed and hawed over a number of fabrics, but was encouraged to go for something funky. I calculated the yardage while waiting in line to get it cut. The original pattern called for three colors: one for front/back, another for handles, and a third for the sides and lining. I opted to do the whole bag in one color, contrasting material for the handles, and the third color just for the lining.
I cut all the pieces and started stitching it on Sunday. I am about half-way done, but stopped for a couple of snags. First, I forgot to cut material for the outside pocket I so desperately wanted. That ended up being a good thing: when I saw how the front panel looked, I redesigned my original pocket layout. Second, although I had compensated for the extra padding and cut the outside and lining accordingly, I had not considered how it would change attaching the lining to the outside of the bag. Hmm. Luckily, I bought a bit more material than I thought I'd need. I have a couple of ideas how to do it; now I just need to decide which one to do.
It's looking kind of funky. I like the way the sides feel and I'm sure it will be even sturdier when it's complete. I can't wait to see how it turns out!