Friday, October 25, 2013

Northern Lights: Blogger's Quilt Festival

Northern Lights made it to the Topsfield Fair, which was pretty exciting.  Now I'm submitting it to the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  My friends will get tired of seeing photos of my quilt by the time this is all over!

Night Jewels

I stumbled across Night Jewels online and fell in love with the pattern.  I decided it would look great on my spare bed.  The skill level was listed as Intermediate, so I figured I'd give it a try.  Ha!  If I only knew what I got myself in to when I started this quilt.  I guess I'm still a beginner, because this was much more of a challenge than I had anticipated.  Now that it's finished, I'm so glad I stuck with it.

Click on the photo to enlarge and see more detail.
The big star on the back was inspired by several entries from last year's Blogger's Quilt Festival.  I loved all of the quilts that had additional piecing on the back, and decided I needed to try something like that.

I had originally planned to quilt this with stitch-in-the-ditch, because my old Singer Graduate isn't up to anything fancy.  I changed my mind when I started quilting and stitched slightly inside the edge, on the black, using green, red and blue thread.  I used the same color in the bobbin, so the back has an outline of the pattern in front.  It's hard to see in the photos; it looks much better in person.

At first I wasn't sure what I'd do with the border.  As I was quilting, I realized it was a half-star wide.  When I got to the half-stars on the edge, I continued the outline out into the border, as if it was a full star.  I filled in the rest of the border with half-stars in black thread.  I am pleased with the result.

Believe it or not, it's a twin-sized quilt.  It was enormous when I hung it up for photos.  But sure enough, it fit on the bed as I had intended.  Wonderful!


Blogger's Quilt Festival Stats
Quilt Measurement:  104.5" x 78"
Technique:  machine pieced and quilted
Category:  Bed Quilts


Be sure to check out all of the amazing quilts submitted for the Blogger's Quilt Festival!

AmysCreativeSide


10 comments :

  1. That is one stunning quilt! Awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that looks even more complicated than intermediate! It's gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty!!! I really really love the pop of the colors on the black, and that's a terrific strategy to extend the star quilting through the border. :D Love that star on the back - absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic quilt pattern. And you're right, that pieced block on the back makes it very interesting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous quilt. I love what you did with the back and the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a wonderful job with my design! My quilt was actually paper pieced but Mark Lipinski decided to publish the pattern with templates instead. I think it might be a little easier to paper piece it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really loved the pattern. I have never tried paper piecing before - it probably would have made all of those points a bit easier, though!

      Delete
    2. I absolutely love paper piecing! A lot of people are afraid of it but they shouldn't be. It takes all the math out of a quilt and yet you can get a perfect block anyway. It would have made the matching up of the different pieces easier, too. Either way, your quilt turned out beautiful and I was so pleased to see it!

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************