Monday, January 5, 2015

Herringbone Pillow Top

It took me much longer than I had expected, but I finished the improv herringbone pillow top.  I discovered this block on Color My World.  I can appreciate making these blocks in a bee and the poster's enthusiasm in winning the bunch - these are time consuming!  Sewing one isn't bad, but I didn't want to face stitching up the last two.  I can't imagine needing to sew a bunch of these for a big quilt.  I love how they look together, but the block is a lot of work.

Quilting was problematic, too.  There were so many seams; much of the block was two or three layers of fabric.  I did a little stitch-in-the-ditch to tack down the batting.  I couldn't think of any quilting pattern to stitch over the whole thing that wouldn't make it even busier.  And I didn't want color over all those white lines.

When I had completed the first block, I wondered what the pillow would look like as a single large block.  Now that I've finished this piece, I think that would have been the better idea.  There's a lot of white on these 8" blocks.  Now I know that this block doesn't shrink well.  Regardless, I'm pleased with the final result and it was a neat pattern to try.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).

Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...