Monday, February 9, 2015

German Pancakes

German pancakes are kind of like a sweetened Yorkshire pudding.  I first made then when I was 12 or 13 years old.  I had taken a cooking class over the summer and this was one of our assignments.  I remember serving these regularly for our family Sunday breakfast.  Happy memories.

The recipe had been buried in some old scrapbooks; I rediscovered it a few months ago.  I hadn't made German pancakes in decades.  I was curious if they were as good as I remembered and whipped up a half batch last month.  We decided the portion size was a bit small.  I adjusted the recipe and made a second batch this weekend.  We deemed this a keeper.  Crisp on the edges, chewy in the middle, it's great breakfast comfort food.

The toppings in the recipe are just suggestions.  I bet anything sweet or savory would work.  Mine was delicious with fresh strawberries and maple syrup.


German Pancakes

3 eggs
2¼ tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
½ cup flour
½ cup milk
1½ Tbls butter, softened

Heat oven to 400F.  Grease a 10" pie plate (or something about that size).  Beat eggs until they are light yellow; add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.  Pour batter into pan.  Bake 20 minutes at 400, then reduce heat to 350F and bake 10 minutes.  Cut in half and slide onto plates.

Serve with powdered sugar and butter, or with syrup, jelly or honey.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************