Wednesday, February 11, 2015
Throw Pillow Three
I began quilting with some heavier pink thread I bought for the dress wall hangings. My sewing machine had been giving me problems back then, but this time around I confirmed - my machine hates any heavier weight thread. I couldn't set a tension that would properly lock the stitch that didn't shred the thread or snarl the bobbin. I swapped to my normal thread and everything runs fine.
The Matrix side looks better with the quilting. I tried to freemotion the original maze pattern, but I hated how the corners weren't sharp. I ended up ripping that out and restitched with my walking foot. Much better.
I practiced making square corners with the loopy boxes. Yay! It was much easier to forgive round corners and squiggly lines when they get lost in the overall pattern. I had no idea it would take so long. I lost most of my Sunday afternoon working on this. The end result is pretty cool!
I bound the pillow - I felt the two sides needed to be cleanly separated. I picked the Arrowhead's colors and the Matrix's neutrals for the binding. I think it works well for both sides.
Joining the Linky party at Freemotion by the River.