I made my first wonky block with a 3" internal square that I decided was smaller than I wanted for the quilt. Luckily, I had plenty of black and orange fabric, so I recut the block with a larger square. That left me with two leftover blocks. I decided to make mug rug with it.
I decided to make just one mug rug, not two. It's reversible. Threw in some frankenstein batting, added a darker orange binding and ta-da! I had a fun time playing with the quilting. I quilted the orange square with black thread so it shows up on both sides. It's hard to see in the photos, but I quilted the black square with orange thread, with the same design. It's neat how the corners of the flowers touch. Then I quilted the rest, black thread on the orange, orange thread in the bobbin. So everything is quilted in the opposite color of the fabric. Fun!