Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Sunshine

Yay!  It's time for the Blogger's Quilt Festival!  I'm not sure where I'll find the time to browse through the hundreds of entries.  I always add more from each festival of things I need to try and I'm already working on a backlog of patterns.  This isn't helping.  Nonetheless, I'm thrilled to participate.  (I just need to finish my second entry by Monday.  Eek!)

My first entry was completed in January (thus the snowy photo).  My mother requested a twin-sized quilt with rounded corners and picked Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice as a pattern.  Once I calculated the yardage, we met at a fabric store and she picked the colors she wanted.


I never would have pictured my mother selecting browns and blues.  I liked the fabrics she chose and helped her to pick stuff that would contrast similar to Sew Pretty Quilts' version of Celtic Solstice.  Mom confessed later she wasn't too sure of her selections.  But as I started to assemble the blocks, I could see it was going to look great. 

I assembled and quilted it on my old Singer 15-91.  Many of my non-quilting friends struggled to understand how I did all that on a domestic machine.  It took a while to come up with the different quilting designs.  I had a couple of false starts and one backward block:  the swirls on 30 of the suns/flowers go in one direction... and the 31st does not.  I knew about it early on - the odd one was the first or second sun I quilted.  But it looked great, so I left it in.  I know roughly where it is and it still takes me a while to find it.  No one else will ever notice.


I named the quilt Sunshine, because of the backing's color and quilting.  The back!  What a way to name a quilt.  The front and the back appear so different and each have neat stuff to look at.  I particularly like how the border reminds me of cathedral windows on the back, which is not at all how it looks from the front.

I used the backing fabric for the label and tucked it in a corner, sewing it down with the same colored thread. Mom loves the quilting so much, she said she may reverse the quilt in the summer to show off the back.

As much as I enjoyed quilting this thing, there was much swearing, sweating from wrestling it through the sewing machine and pricked fingers (I may have mentioned in at least one prior post).  I nearly named it Blood, Sweat and SwearingSunshine may have top billing, but the second name remains.  It makes me laugh; which is good, because this is a great quilt.



Sunshine is a good sized twin at 74" x 92".  It drapes over the bed beautifully.  After receiving the quilt Mom starting every conversation (or ended every email) with "I love the quilt" for at least six months.  Do you think she liked it?

There are so many awesome quilts over at the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  Be sure to check them out!



17 comments :

  1. This is absolutely beautiful! What a wonderful gift for your mom. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally! Yes, I remember this finish but I am happy to read the story again as it certainly is worth sharing. I love that your Mom helped pick out the fabrics and pattern. We try to make our peeps pick out their fabrics too. Someone tells us they want a purple quilt - purple toward the red end or the blue end? They don't realize until they see the array of colors just how hard it is to get thing coordinated. Really nice job, Sally. See you on Thursday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! Clearly your mother loves it. I'm making one for my mother in law at present, and I know she's going to rave about it forever more. It's a secret and I hope to have it ready by Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful! I learned to FMQ on a Singer 15-91, they are wonderful machines. Wish I still had mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous!!! and the quilting knocks it out!! amazed that you quilted on domestic machine. Inspires me to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this quilt when I first saw and love it even more now. A gorgeous pattern and all that quilting....wow. Your quilting is astonishing! The blue and brown fabrics in that fabulous pattern do sing. I have no doubt your mum loves her quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, your mom may love the quilt. But she definitely loves you. And she is so proud of you and your work. That is why she cannot stop beaming and showing it off. And for good reason - it is a fabulous quilt, the blood, sweat and swearing notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great quilt and that your Mom is so in love with it is all the more perfect. The quilting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful quilt! And I love the colors. Does it remind you of the flannel quilt colors, a little bit? I love those, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A stunning quilt and a beautiful story, my mum loves showing off the quilts I’ve made for her to everyone who visits!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet you she loves her quilt and it’s easy to see why. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilt is beautiful! I planned to make a teal and brown quilt, so started to build my stash. This pattern makes good partners of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Celtic Solstice in on my short list--I love the way your colors look together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilt and the quilting is superb! I also love piecing and quilting on my vintage 15-91 Singer sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your mom did a great job picking out colors, they are striking. Your quilting is amazing. What a special gift.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great quilt! I love your mom's selection of colors. Those browns and blues look great together. I always find it interesting to see quilts with straight seams that, in the end, give the impression of curves. This quilt does that.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************